Ocon to ‘grab opportunity’ in 2019

Mar.4 (GMM) Esteban Ocon says he wants to “grab” any opportunity that comes from his new role in F1.

Dropped by Force India at the end of last year, the talented Frenchman remains strongly backed by Mercedes and will be the reigning champions’ reserve in 2019.

“I am positive about my situation,” Ocon told RTBF.

“I have a new role at a top team that has won many recent titles,” he explained. “It’s also the team that has supported me for a long time.

“They have picked me up at crucial moments in my career, and now I’m on the team,” Ocon added.

The 22-year-old said he will work in the simulator this season and help Mercedes to develop its 2019 car.

“I’ll also be at all the grands prix and if an opportunity arises, I’ll grab it,” said Ocon.

Related News

  • 23/03/2017 Kubica rules out F1 return for now Mar.23 (GMM) Robert Kubica said he accepts that returning to F1 will for now remain a closed topic. The Pole's promising F1 career ended abruptly ahead of the 2011 season when he […]
  • 08/10/2018 Vandoorne wants ‘favourable conditions’ for F1 return Oct.8 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne says he will only agree to return to formula one if he is offered "favourable conditions". The Belgian has lost his place at McLaren and acknowledges that […]
  • 29/04/2016 Verstappen denies F1 career in plateau Apr.29 (GMM) Max Verstappen has denied he is already hitting a plateau, four races into the second season in his otherwise meteoric F1 career. The young Dutchman was asked at Sochi about […]
  • 09/11/2016 Magnussen signs ‘multi-year’ Haas deal – source Nov.9 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen will switch from Renault to the American team Haas for 2017, a source told us on Wednesday morning. The Dane had been hoping for a longer stay with the works […]
  • 05/02/2016 Friday outings possible for Ocon Feb.5 (GMM) Esteban Ocon may get some Friday practice outings in 2016. 'On loan' to Renault after re-signing with Mercedes' driver development scheme late last year, the 19-year-old […]
  • 26/03/2019 Ferrari make ‘corrections’ for Bahrain Mar.26 (GMM) Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto has confirmed the Italian team has made "corrections" ahead of the Bahrain grand prix based on the outcome of the 2019 season opener in […]
  • 09/01/2017 Hulkenberg training hard for 2017 Jan.9 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg says he has never worked harder ahead of a new season of formula one. The German is switching from the small outfit Force India to the Renault works team for […]
  • 23/03/2018 Vandoorne admits ‘pressure’ on McLaren Mar.23 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne thinks it's good that the "pressure" is on at McLaren this year. After three bad years with Honda, the British team has moved to Renault power for 2018 but […]
  • 30/04/2019 Simulator driver leaves McLaren Apr.30 (GMM) A developing driver has left McLaren. In February, Dutchman Nyck de Vries said he hopes that after George Russell, Lando Norris and Alexander Albon, he will be the next to […]
  • 20/09/2018 Ocon has no regrets as F1 career stalls Sep.20 (GMM) Esteban Ocon says he has no regrets even though his F1 career looks set to stall. Many in the paddock are joining the Frenchman in his disappointment that, despite his […]