Vettel ‘lacked support’ in 2018 – Rosberg

Mar.13 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel now has the support he needs to win the title for Ferrari.

That is the belief of Nico Rosberg, the 2016 world champion. Another former F1 driver, Ralf Schumacher, says the “biggest mistake” made by Ferrari last year was not giving Vettel “everything he wanted”.

Rosberg agrees, telling Auto Bild that ousting Maurizio Arrivabene was a good move.

“The change at the top of the team will have a positive effect on Sebastian,” he said. “He lost the title in 2018 also because he lacked 100pc support.

“That should have changed now,” added Rosberg.

However, Rosberg admits that Vettel needs to drive a “perfect season” from the cockpit, and fend off the challenge of his new teammate Charles Leclerc.

Ferrari’s new boss Mattia Binotto says Vettel will get “priority” this year, but Rosberg said: “I’m looking forward to the duel.

“Leclerc will be wanting to prove that he is sitting in the right place at Ferrari.”

Related News

  • 01/04/2019 ‘Same Vettel as last year’ – Rosberg Apr.1 (GMM) Huge pressure is back on the shoulders of Sebastian Vettel. Ferrari granted the German full number 1 status for 2019, but it was new teammate Charles Leclerc setting the pace […]
  • 21/02/2019 Pressure on Leclerc ‘unfair’ – Hamilton Feb.21 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton says the pressure being put on Charles Leclerc is "unfair". Many are predicting that, after Sebastian Vettel's difficult 2018 season, youngster Leclerc can […]
  • 21/07/2018 Leclerc ready to jump at Ferrari seat Jul.21 (GMM) Charles Leclerc says he will not turn down the opportunity to drive for Ferrari in 2019. Some believe the Monaco-born rookie, 20, is not ready to replace Kimi Raikkonen at […]
  • 11/11/2017 Rosberg doubts Vettel can win 2018 title Nov.11 (GMM) Nico Rosberg does not think Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari are ready to topple Mercedes in F1. The two top teams battled for the title this year, but ultimately Lewis Hamilton […]
  • 05/12/2016 Ferrari could lose drivers after 2017 – Marchionne Dec.5 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has admitted Ferrari is at risk of losing its champion drivers after 2017. However, the great marque's president played down rumours that Sebastian Vettel […]
  • 02/10/2018 Former Ferrari drivers hail 2019 lineup Oct.2 (GMM) Charles Leclerc will give Sebastian Vettel a run for his money at Ferrari next year. That is the view of two experienced former Ferrari drivers. Gerhard Berger told […]
  • 10/05/2019 Leclerc admits reputation ‘encouraging’ May 10 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve says Charles Leclerc is not criticised as much as his Ferrari teammate Sebastian Vettel. 21-year-old Leclerc moved from Sauber to Ferrari for 2019 and so […]
  • 01/03/2019 Leclerc says his number 2 status ‘logical’ Mar.1 (GMM) Charles Leclerc says it is "logical" that he starts his career at Ferrari with number 2 status to Sebastian Vettel. Since the highly rated youngster was signed by Ferrari, […]
  • 08/12/2017 Vettel says Formula E ‘not the future’ Dec.8 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel says he has no interest in Formula E. The all-electric series has been increasing in popularity, and now has many car manufacturers, top sponsors and ex-F1 […]
  • 11/01/2019 Vettel will struggle to beat Leclerc – Rosberg Jan.11 (GMM) Charles Leclerc's arrival at Ferrari will be one of the most fascinating aspects of the 2019 season. That is the view of 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg, referring to the […]