Williams exit gives Stroll ‘hope’ again

Mar.12 (GMM) Lance Stroll says he is much happier after leaving Williams.

The Canadian and his backer-father, billionaire fashion mogul Lawrence Stroll, dumped Williams after the once-great team’s abysmal 2018 season.

And now the British team could sink even lower in 2019, even though Robert Kubica is now in the cockpit.

“Kubica was nine tenths behind (George) Russell, who is new, in the tests,” former driver Christian Danner told RTL.

It all means that 20-year-old Stroll has no regrets about having left Williams.

“I will not hide the fact that I am very happy with my fate,” Stroll told Le Journal de Montreal.

“I don’t wish any bad luck on anyone, but unlike last year, I now live in hope again,” he added.

Stroll now drives for Racing Point, the former Force India outfit that his father Lawrence bought last year.

He said he is optimistic about 2019.

“It cannot be worse than 2018,” Stroll said. “On the contrary, our team has great ambitions, just as I do.

“I want to contribute to the success of our new team. The atmosphere is fantastic,” he added.

However, Racing Point had a low profile winter, and some believe that along with McLaren and Williams, it is near the back of the grid.

“Certainly we would have liked to have done more in Barcelona,” Stroll admits.

“But I can tell you that all the ingredients to succeed are there,” he added.

One tricky ingredient, however, could be Sergio Perez, Stroll’s new teammate who in the past had a very difficult relationship with Esteban Ocon.

“To advance a team, it requires a good relationship between the drivers even if I know that last year with Esteban there were some sparks that almost went very badly,” Stroll said.

He is at least looking forward to working with his father.

“It’s a huge privilege,” he said. “He is demanding, but I am demanding on myself too.

“He has succeeded in whatever he’s done and now he wants to be successful in F1,” Lance added. “He’s a winner and he expects everyone on the team to give it their all, me included.”

As for his chances of a podium in 2019, Stroll won’t rule it out and he says the overall goal is to be fourth in the constructors’ world championship.

“I celebrated my first podium in 2017 in Baku, and it was an exhilarating experience that I missed last year,” he said. “But I intend to get back to it this season. We have the resources to do that.”

Related News

  • 01/06/2017 Stroll not crumbling under ‘pressure’ – father Jun.1 (GMM) Lance Stroll's father has denied that his son is crumbling under the "pressure" of expectations in F1. Still just 18, Canadian Stroll has struggled at Williams so far in […]
  • 11/05/2019 Latifi could replace Kubica at Williams – report May 11 (GMM) The first rumours that Robert Kubica could be ousted by Williams have emerged. The Pole has struggled alongside George Russell on his return to F1 after an eight year […]
  • 08/01/2019 Perez a good comparison for Stroll – Dumontier Jan.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez will be a good benchmark for Lance Stroll at the team formerly known as Force India in 2019. That is the view of Francois Dumontier, promoter of the Canadian […]
  • 27/11/2018 ‘No fun’ for Stroll in 2018 Nov.26 (GMM) Lance Stroll says he did not have fun in 2018. The Canadian will in Abu Dhabi test for Force India for the first time. Stroll's father Lawrence has bought the Silverstone […]
  • 20/10/2018 Stroll to race out 2018 with Williams Oct.20 (GMM) Lance Stroll says he is staying at Williams for the final few races of 2019. Earlier, it seemed clear that the Canadian would leave the struggling British team to join his […]
  • 01/10/2017 Williams admits Kubica ‘option’ for 2018 Oct.1 (GMM) Williams has confirmed rumours Robert Kubica is in the running to join the team next year. Earlier, Renault had a contract 'option' on the Pole for 2018, but after a series […]
  • 09/08/2018 Stroll should leave Williams now – Villeneuve Aug.9 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve thinks Canadian countryman Lance Stroll should leave Williams immediately. Stroll's billionaire father Lawrence is leading the consortium that has bought […]
  • 31/10/2018 Kubica admits Ferrari test role possible Oct.31 (GMM) Robert Kubica has admitted that moving to a testing role at Ferrari is a possibility for 2019. The Pole's other major option in F1 for next year is to get a promotion to the […]
  • 05/06/2019 Latifi targeting ‘Super Licence’ for 2020 Jun.5 (GMM) Nicholas Latifi has played down suggestions he is now on the cusp of a F1 race seat. The 23-year-old, whose father Michael co-owns McLaren, is the test driver at Williams […]
  • 03/12/2018 Billionaire Stroll not in F1 ‘to lose money’ Dec.3 (GMM) Lawrence Stroll says he bought Force India because it was a "phenomenal business opportunity". The Canadian billionaire and fashion mogul sponsored his teenage son Lance at […]