Wolff ‘had eye on Ricciardo’ for 2019

Mar.13 (GMM) Only a spike in form for Valtteri Bottas last year ended Daniel Ricciardo’s 2019 talks with Mercedes.

That is the admission of Toto Wolff.

Ricciardo starts his new Renault adventure in earnest this weekend, but Mercedes chief Wolff admits he negotiated tentatively with the Australian last year.

“We’ve always had an eye on Daniel,” he is quoted by Brazil’s Globo.

“But if you are happy in a relationship, you don’t need to flirt with another woman.

“If in May or June we were unhappy with Valtteri, we would have continued the conversations,” Wolff added. “But because Valtteri was doing well at that point of the season, we did not want to waste Daniel’s time.”

Bottas, though, was re-signed on a one-year contract only, with reserve driver Esteban Ocon now eyeing that seat for 2019.

“Valtteri is super safe for 2019,” Wolff said, “but he knows what he has to do.”

Related News

  • 11/11/2016 Wehrlein disappointed to miss Force India seat Nov.11 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein could not hide his disappointment after it emerged that Manor teammate Esteban Ocon is moving up to Force India for 2017. Both backed by Mercedes, German […]
  • 13/11/2018 2019 Kubica F1 return ’90pc’ secure – report Nov.13 (GMM) Robert Kubica looks set to return to the F1 grid with Williams in 2019. Auto Motor und Sport says the Pole wants to make his decision this week, after receiving an offer […]
  • 21/07/2018 Bottas ‘satisfied’ with one year contract Jul.21 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he is determined to stay at Mercedes for more than just another season. Although the Finn consistently declared that he wants a two-year contract […]
  • 27/08/2017 ‘Another 2018 option’ for Wehrlein – Wolff Aug.27 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein is not yet out of the running for a F1 seat in 2018. That is the view of Toto Wolff, who oversees the career of the Mercedes-backed German […]
  • 26/06/2018 Mercedes ready to announce 2018 drivers Jun.26 (GMM) Mercedes now appears ready to announce its 2018 driver lineup. At Paul Ricard, Lewis Hamilton gave the strongest indication yet that his long-delayed new contract with […]
  • 18/07/2016 Ocon ‘ready’ to take on Verstappen again Jul.18 (GMM) Esteban Ocon says he is "100 per cent ready" to go head-to-head with Max Verstappen yet again. In 2014, the teenage Frenchman actually beat Verstappen to the European F3 […]
  • 08/03/2018 Red Bull emerging as 2018 title contender Mar.8 (GMM) Red Bull is emerging as a potential favourite for the 2018 world championship. After Mercedes' Toto Wolff said on Tuesday that Red Bull is leading the testing pack, Daniel […]
  • 08/11/2016 Ocon signs with Force India – commentator Nov.8 (GMM) The rest of the 2017 grid looks set to lock into place in the coming days. Brazil's SporTV, headed by F1 commentator Lito Cavalcanti, claims that Esteban Ocon has now been […]
  • 03/01/2017 Ricciardo relationship could change – Verstappen Jan.3 (GMM) Max Verstappen admits that if Red Bull's 2017 car is a title challenger, his relationship with teammate Daniel Ricciardo would change. However, the young Dutchman says that […]
  • 30/08/2018 Ocon confirms failed McLaren seat fitting Aug.30 (GMM) Esteban Ocon has admitted he had a seat fitting at McLaren's Woking factory. Last week, it was rumoured the Frenchman could be ousted by Lance Stroll at Force India, but […]