Catalonia president steps in to save Spanish GP

May 13 (GMM) Catalonia regional president Quim Torra has moved to boost Barcelona’s dwindling chances of keeping the Spanish grand prix on the F1 calendar.

It is widely believed that Zandvoort, a Dutch circuit, will take Barcelona’s race date in 2020, ending a 28-year run of Spanish grands prix.

But Barcelona’s hopes looked brighter on Sunday, as Catalonia president Torra shook hands with F1 chief executive Chase Carey in the paddock.

“I also met with Mr Carey in March and today we did it again,” Torra told El Mundo Deportivo newspaper.

“Catalonia is a motoring region, we have extraordinary infrastructure and a citizenship that wants to see F1 and also some very important economic results,” he said.

And so he is hopeful he can change Carey’s mind about the Spanish grand prix.

“We have started the negotiations, and we face them with the hope and confidence that they will end well. This is our wish,” said Torra.

“I think we have an excellent rapport with the CEO of F1 and we will work for this agreement with all of our strength.”

Earlier, it was believed the regional government’s support of the race was flagging, but Torra insisted: “I have told Mr Carey that there is the full support of the government to be able to take it forward.

“In March, when we had the first meeting, it was very pleasant. Today we had a brief exchange of opinions.

“The truth is that we are very happy with this collaboration. The country needs Formula 1.”

Related News

  • 22/03/2019 Carey in Barcelona for Spanish GP contract talks Mar.22 (GMM) Negotiations to extend Barcelona's contract to host the Spanish grand prix have begun. Spanish media, including EFE news agency, say F1 chief executive Chase Carey met with […]
  • 23/04/2018 Official denies Spanish GP in doubt Apr.23 (GMM) A Spanish official has played down rumours the future of the grand prix in Barcelona could be in doubt. Barcelona's current contract is set to expire next year, and there […]
  • 02/05/2019 Spanish GP negotiations not dead yet May 2 (GMM) Barcelona has not yet been locked out of the 2020 F1 calendar. This week, reports suggested that with Zandvoort set to host a race next year, the new Dutch GP could actually […]
  • 15/02/2016 No free TV coverage in Spain in 2016 – report Feb.15 (GMM) Free-to-air television coverage of F1 throughout Spain has ended, according to the Spanish sports daily El Mundo Deportivo. The report said the 2016 world championship can […]
  • 11/05/2018 Spain GP talks to take place after race May 11 (GMM) Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya boss Joan Fontsere says he hopes talks will lead to a new contract for the Spanish grand prix. In recent days, circuit officials and F1 chief […]
  • 14/05/2019 2020 Dutch GP does not stop Barcelona talks May 14 (GMM) Zandvoort's soon-to-be-announced 2020 Dutch GP does not mean Barcelona is out of the running to also be on the calendar next year. Vincenc Aguilera, the Circuit de Catalunya […]
  • 07/06/2017 Paul Ricard set for mid-year 2018 date Jun.7 (GMM) Paul Ricard is heading for a mid-year race date for the return of the French grand prix next year. That is the claim of race promoter Christian Estrosi, who revealed to […]
  • 19/10/2018 Barcelona to host all winter tests in 2019 Oct.19 (GMM) F1 will stick with Barcelona as its exclusive winter testing venue ahead of the 2019 season. There had been suggestions the teams might agree to head to an overseas location […]
  • 24/04/2015 Merhi could focus on 3.5 title after Barcelona Apr.24 (GMM) Roberto Merhi will contest the forthcoming Spanish grand prix. That is the claim of the Spanish daily El Mundo Deportivo, reporting that Manor has now unofficially confirmed […]
  • 07/05/2019 ‘No panic’ amid Barcelona axe reports May 7 (GMM) Barcelona circuit boss Vincenc Aguilera says there is "no panic" amid reports that talks to extend the Spanish GP beyond this weekend's race have broken down. Some outlets […]