Silverstone sure new surface to be ready for F1

May 8 (GMM) Silverstone is “confident” a brand new track surface will be ready for July’s British grand prix.

The Guardian reports that F1’s governing body ordered the work be done after the current surface led to the cancellation of the MotoGP race last year.

Lewis Hamilton said the new surface was the “bumpiest track I’ve ever experienced”.

“The people they hired did the worst job ever,” said the Mercedes driver.

Silverstone boss Stuart Pringle confirmed that, after the MotoGP cancellation, the FIA “suspended our track licence”.

“The condition of the reissue of that licence was a complete resurfacing. We had to do it to be able to run the event,” he said.

A new contractor has been assigned to complete the 2019 resurfacing, but it will only be complete by June 30. The British grand prix takes place just days later.

“We are confident it will be ready. Working with (Italian company) Dromo they have designed an asphalt mix that is six times stronger than last year’s,” said Pringle.

“It will have real rigidity and no risk of being moved even by F1, which is the ultimate punisher of a circuit.”

Related News

  • 10/07/2019 Announcement scheduled for new British GP deal Jul.10 (GMM) A new deal to keep the British GP at Silverstone will be announced within hours. Amid speculation that a new contract has been agreed, a press conference attended by F1 […]
  • 11/03/2019 Silverstone future still in doubt – Brawn Mar.11 (GMM) Silverstone's F1 future remains in doubt. Rolling the dice on renegotiating their contract with a lower annual fee, organisers of the British grand prix have terminated the […]
  • 05/12/2018 No British GP ‘at any price’ – Silverstone Dec.5 (GMM) A cloud still hangs over the future of the British grand prix at Silverstone. Last year, the circuit triggered a break clause in its contract with Liberty Media for financial […]
  • 12/02/2019 Russian promoter slams Silverstone boss Feb.12 (GMM) Russia has distanced itself from a group of F1 circuits who are threatening to quit formula one. A statement highly critical of Liberty Media that was issued by the […]
  • 29/01/2019 Race promoters threaten to quit F1 calendar A group of F1 race promoters are preparing to confront the sport's owner Liberty Media. Led by Silverstone, the race officials are angry with Liberty over the handling of their contracts, […]
  • 31/01/2019 F1 tracks eye end to Liberty dispute The boss of a big group of current F1 race promoters says he is confident their dispute with Liberty Media will be resolved. Led by Silverstone's Stuart Pringle, the group of 16 circuits […]
  • 08/07/2018 Silverstone bump caused Vettel neck tweak Jul.8 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel thinks a bump in the track surface at Silverstone could have tweaked his neck. The Ferrari driver struggled through qualifying on Saturday with sports taping […]
  • 07/01/2017 Alternatives quiet over Silverstone news Jan.7 (GMM) British motor racing tracks have played down Bernie Ecclestone's hint they might be in the running to take over the British grand prix. As it emerged Silverstone was […]
  • 29/04/2015 Silverstone makes ‘plea’ for better F1 show Apr.29 (GMM) Silverstone chief Patrick Allen has added his voice to calls for a rules shakeup in formula one. He has told British newspapers that races are too predictable because of the […]
  • 06/07/2018 Mercedes ‘fixed’ reliability problems – Bottas Jul.6 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he is not worried about car reliability ahead of the British grand prix. That is despite the fact that the reigning champions had an awful Austrian grand […]