McLaren leaving Alonso era in the past

Jun.23 (GMM) McLaren appears to be moving on from the Fernando Alonso era.

In recent days, team supremo Zak Brown said there is no room for the Spaniard in 2020 because McLaren is happy with Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris.

And the reserve driver role has just been filled by Sergey Sirotkin.

“Fernando cannot attend all the races and perform the duties of a reserve driver,” explained new McLaren team boss Andreas Seidl.

“We work closely with Renault already, and Sergey will come to all the remaining races of the championship, so for us it was easy to sign the agreements just in case.”

Not just that, Seidl has closed the door to any more F1 testing for Alonso.

“There are currently no plans to put Fernando back in the car,” he confirmed. “We are very satisfied with Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz, who are doing a great job.

“They are our future. And that’s what I focus on.

“Fernando is still part of McLaren as an ambassador for our brand, and there are discussions about different possibilities, but for other racing projects,” Seidl added.

Even Brown, a staunch Alonso supporter, seems to agree with Seidl that McLaren is moving on.

He is quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport as saying there is now “less pressure” and a “positive atmosphere” at McLaren, in the season after Alonso departed.

Related News

  • 01/03/2019 McLaren drivers back driving role for Alonso Mar.1 (GMM) McLaren's race drivers do not have a problem with Fernando Alonso testing their car in 2019. Alonso, who quit the team and sport at the end of last year but is now a test […]
  • 31/01/2019 Alonso set for McLaren test in Barcelona Fernando Alonso could try McLaren's 2019 car as early as the forthcoming winter tests in Barcelona. The Spaniard has retired from F1, but team boss Zak Brown has said the two-time […]
  • 10/07/2019 McLaren announced 2020 drivers to stop ‘speculation’ Jul.10 (GMM) McLaren has announced its 2020 driver lineup with 12 races left to run this season in order to avoid "speculation". That is the admission of the British team's supremo Zak […]
  • 23/06/2019 Norris wants new contract and pay rise – report Jun.23 (GMM) Lando Norris says he wants a new deal to stay at McLaren in 2020. In recent days, team supremo Zak Brown played down the prospect of Fernando Alonso returning by saying the […]
  • 23/10/2018 Vandoorne not ‘aggressive’ enough for F1 – Brown Oct.23 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne's F1 career could be over because he was not "aggressive" enough with McLaren. That is the view of McLaren team boss Zak Brown, who is replacing the […]
  • 09/01/2018 Norris wants to learn from and beat Alonso in Daytona Jan.9 (GMM) New McLaren reserve Lando Norris says Daytona is the perfect opportunity to start learning from Fernando Alonso. This year, the new reigning F3 champion will travel the […]
  • 15/05/2018 McLaren plans mid-season Alonso talks May 15 (GMM) McLaren will open talks with Fernando Alonso about 2019 around the middle of the season. That is the news from team executive Zak Brown, acknowledging the rumours that the […]
  • 17/06/2019 McLaren plays down 2020 F1 return for Alonso Jun.17 (GMM) Zak Brown has all but ruled out a return to McLaren for Fernando Alonso. The McLaren supremo says the team is happy with its current race drivers, Lando Norris and Carlos […]
  • 30/07/2018 Vandoorne axe within 2018 ‘unlikely’ – Brown Jul.30 (GMM) The driver 'silly season' is racing on. In Hungary, rumours continued to gain strength that Carlos Sainz will be ousted by Renault, and replaced for 2019 by Esteban […]
  • 21/12/2018 Sainz ‘would not mind’ if Alonso tests McLaren Dec.21 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he would be happy if his mentor and countryman Fernando Alonso tests the 2019 McLaren next year. Zak Brown, the McLaren boss, has said Alonso is welcome to […]