Montreal confident about long-term F1 future

Jun.3 (GMM) With its brand new facilities, the Canadian GP venue in Montreal looks safe for the long term.

That is the view of promoter Francois Dumontier, who played down suggestions the new pit building will not be ready for this weekend’s race.

“There is no embarrassment for Montreal,” he told Le Journal de Montreal newspaper.

“I cannot wait to show our new facilities to the various stakeholders of F1. They had been wanting changes for years and will be just as satisfied as the spectators.”

Amid delays, a contract dispute and Montreal’s harsh winter, the deadline to finish the upgrade was tight.

But Dumontier said: “I knew everything would be finished on time, and that’s the case. We are ready and I am very proud of it.

“We are moving to another level. The Canadian GP is now part of the major league.”

And he said that unlike many other circuits on the calendar, Montreal can feel confident about its place in F1.

“We can now think about the future,” said Dumontier. “We are here for a long time. We did not do all this work to lose the grand prix in 2029.

“I think F1 needs Montreal, and vice versa. When we lost our race in 2009, everyone wanted it back the following year. And that’s what happened.”

Related News

  • 08/05/2019 Montreal still working on new paddock – report May 8 (GMM) The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is in a race against time to be ready for next month's Canadian grand prix. A correspondent for Le Journal de Montreal newspaper visited the […]
  • 07/06/2018 Verstappen to ‘regroup’ amid 2018 crisis Jun.7 (GMM) Max Verstappen says he will try to "regroup" after a difficult start to the 2018 season. Many experts and pundits think the young Dutchman's career is in crisis, following an […]
  • 05/07/2017 Stroll’s private testing ‘not fair’ – Villeneuve Jul.5 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve has hit out at the private testing programme being enjoyed this year by controversial F1 rookie Lance Stroll. After vicious early-season criticism of the […]
  • 17/12/2018 Canada GP not in danger – promoter Dec.17 (GMM) The future of the Canadian grand prix is not in danger. That is the view of Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier, even though F1 chief executive Chase Carey has warned […]
  • 27/07/2017 Only judge Stroll in 2018 – Prost Jul.27 (GMM) Quadruple world champion Alain Prost has defended F1's teen rookie Lance Stroll. Canadian Stroll's debut for Williams this year has been the subject of controversy, as his […]
  • 09/06/2017 F1 set to confirm 2029 Montreal contract Jun.9 (GMM) Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has secured its place on the F1 calendar long into the future. There was already a contract in place until 2025, but La Presse newspaper […]
  • 01/06/2017 Stroll not crumbling under ‘pressure’ – father Jun.1 (GMM) Lance Stroll's father has denied that his son is crumbling under the "pressure" of expectations in F1. Still just 18, Canadian Stroll has struggled at Williams so far in […]
  • 11/05/2019 Latifi could replace Kubica at Williams – report May 11 (GMM) The first rumours that Robert Kubica could be ousted by Williams have emerged. The Pole has struggled alongside George Russell on his return to F1 after an eight year […]
  • 26/03/2018 Stroll hits out at Williams’ 2018 car Mar.26 (GMM) Lance Stroll has fired some rare criticism at his F1 employer. Williams has had a tough start to the 2018 season, amid criticism for not signing Robert Kubica as race driver […]
  • 26/07/2016 Montreal mayor plays down F1 race fears Jul.26 (GMM) Montreal's mayor has played down reports the 2017 Canadian grand prix is in serious doubt. Le Journal de Montreal newspaper reports that some fans have been unable to secure […]