Ocon ‘working hard’ for 2020 race seat

Jun.8 (GMM) Esteban Ocon says his hopes of returning to the grid next year remain high.

Having missed out on a seat for 2019, the former Force India driver now travels the calendar as Mercedes’ reserve.

He is strongly backed by Toto Wolff, but with Valtteri Bottas performing so well so far this year, Ocon may need to look elsewhere for a 2020 cockpit.

“It’s a transition year for me,” the 22-year-old Frenchman told Le Journal de Montreal.

“It’s not easy to not be in the car, especially at a place like Montreal, but my management team is working very hard to get me a ride for next year,” said Ocon.

“I have to show patience and I hope it will be rewarded.”

In the meantime, Ocon says he is busy in the Mercedes simulator. He said he did 300 laps of the Montreal track to help the world champions prepare.

“I’m very busy in my job,” he said. “I do not have much time to think about my personal situation. I am always on the simulator or at the factory.

“I help the team a lot in moving the car forward and I’m learning a lot,” Ocon added. “It’s no coincidence that they have won the last championships.

“When I have a new cockpit, I will be an even more complete driver.”

Related News

  • 09/06/2018 ‘No plan to buy Force India’ – Wolff Jun.9 (GMM) Toto Wolff has rejected rumours Mercedes might be shaping up to buy Force India. The rumour emerged not only after boss Vijay Mallya stepped down from the Force India board, […]
  • 26/06/2019 Wolff optimistic of finding seat for Ocon Jun.26 (GMM) Toto Wolff says he is "very optimistic" Esteban Ocon will return to the F1 grid next year. Ocon lost his race seat at Force India at the end of last year when Lawrence […]
  • 15/02/2019 Perez ‘will not change’ with Stroll as teammate Feb.15 (GMM) Sergio Perez says he has no problem teaming up with Lance Stroll at Racing Point in 2019. The Perez-Stroll dynamic is a fascinating one, with Perez being the highly […]
  • 22/07/2018 Williams could be Mercedes ‘B team’ Jul.22 (GMM) Toto Wolff has admitted that Williams might be getting lined up as a Mercedes 'B team'. Although the Grove team is resisting the move, Williams has the slowest car on the […]
  • 06/06/2018 Latifi targets F1 race seat for 2019 Jun.6 (GMM) Nicholas Latifi says he is targeting a formula one seat for 2019. The 22-year-old Canadian is currently Force India's reserve driver, and he will be in action on Friday […]
  • 11/06/2017 Struggling Stroll ‘will find solution’ – Ocon Jun.11 (GMM) Esteban Ocon has tipped Lance Stroll to "find a solution" to his current troubles in F1. At the seventh round of his new F1 career, 18-year-old Stroll slumped at his home […]
  • 13/11/2018 2019 Kubica F1 return ’90pc’ secure – report Nov.13 (GMM) Robert Kubica looks set to return to the F1 grid with Williams in 2019. Auto Motor und Sport says the Pole wants to make his decision this week, after receiving an offer […]
  • 21/10/2016 Wehrlein now plays down Force India link Oct.21 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has played down suggestions he will definitely fill the vacant spot left by Nico Hulkenberg at Force India for 2017. Many in the paddock believe the […]
  • 10/06/2017 Rosberg could return to F1 – Wolff Jun.10 (GMM) Nico Rosberg could one day return to formula one. That is the view of his former Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, who admitted to Le Journal de Montreal newspaper that he was […]
  • 23/11/2018 Bottas ‘not worried’ about 2020 seat Nov.23 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he is not worried he could lose his seat after 2019. The Finn is all signed up for next year, but Mercedes could be holding the seat open for Force […]