Stroll still hopeful after difficult start

Jun.5 (GMM) Lance Stroll says he is not getting down even though his move to Racing Point has been disappointing so far.

The 20-year-old was delighted to leave struggling Williams at the end of last year, and sounded confident the team now owned by his father Lawrence was a good move.

However, he has scored just 4 of Racing Point’s 17 points so far.

The reason? “A mixture of bad luck and adapting to the team,” Canadian Stroll told La Presse.

“Our performances vary a lot from circuit to circuit. Sometimes we are further forward, sometimes not. But it’s so tight between five or six teams in the middle of the pack,” he explained.

“We are there, among them, and we are not missing much for better results. And we’re just a third of the way through a long season.”

Tension, though, is obvious between Stroll and his experienced teammate, Sergio Perez. Perez wants to stay with Racing Point as it pushes towards the front, but Stroll – and his billionaire father – also have ambitions.

However, Stroll says his relationship with Perez is “going well”.

“I think it’s an interesting comparison for me. He is a fast driver with a lot of experience in F1 and in this team.

“In Barcelona, he didn’t leave me much room at the start, but it’s good that we can fight as teammates while remaining respectful and thinking about the team. It’s a challenge I like,” said Stroll.

What has not been so good, however, is the 2019 car.

“The car was bad in Spain. Even worse than we feared,” said Stroll. “But we think that was more circuit-related and we should be closer to our usual level from Canada with the improvements we’ve made to the car recently.

“We are still able to fight for fourth place in the championship, even if it is so tight between several teams. And when we have a more competitive car, we can aim for even better results.”

Related News

  • 05/06/2019 Stroll hopes Williams emerges from crisis Jun.5 (GMM) Lance Stroll says he hopes Williams can emerge from its current crisis. The Canadian driver, and his billionaire father and backer Lawrence, left the team at the end of last […]
  • 09/06/2019 Perez defends Stroll and billionaire father Jun.9 (GMM) Sergio Perez has defended teammate Lance Stroll and the Canadian driver's billionaire father. Last year, fashion mogul Lawrence Stroll bought the ailing Force India team, […]
  • 03/05/2019 Lance Stroll ‘damn fast’ – Szafnauer May 3 (GMM) Lance Stroll, an often maligned Formula 1 driver, is actually "damn fast". That is the view of his boss at Racing Point, the former Force India team that is now owned by […]
  • 20/10/2018 Stroll to race out 2018 with Williams Oct.20 (GMM) Lance Stroll says he is staying at Williams for the final few races of 2019. Earlier, it seemed clear that the Canadian would leave the struggling British team to join his […]
  • 08/01/2019 Perez a good comparison for Stroll – Dumontier Jan.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez will be a good benchmark for Lance Stroll at the team formerly known as Force India in 2019. That is the view of Francois Dumontier, promoter of the Canadian […]
  • 14/03/2019 2019 to show ‘how good Stroll really is’ – Surer Mar.14 (GMM) F1 will find out "how good Stroll really is" in 2019. That is the view of Marc Surer, a former driver who is now a F1 television pundit. Lance Stroll has moved from […]
  • 20/07/2018 Stroll not denying Force India rumours Jul.20 (GMM) Lance Stroll is being linked with a move to Force India. The Canadian has sounded frustrated with Williams' situation recently, and his billionaire father Lawrence has been […]
  • 20/07/2018 Stroll not denying Force India rumours Jul.20 (GMM) Lance Stroll is being linked with a move to Force India. The Canadian has sounded frustrated with Williams' situation recently, and his billionaire father Lawrence has been […]
  • 03/06/2019 Owner says Racing Point targeting victory Jun.3 (GMM) Team owner Lawrence Stroll is targeting nothing other than victory in Formula 1. But he admits that buying Force India last year was just the first step. "First we wanted to […]
  • 04/09/2016 Perez not confirming Force India stay rumours Sep.4 (GMM) Sergio Perez says his plans for the 2017 season are not quite ready to be revealed. On Saturday, British television announced at Monza that the Mexican will definitely be […]