Alonso, McLaren deny reports of split

Jul.8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso and McLaren have denied reports that they have split.

The Spaniard raced with the British team between 2015 and 2018, and remained a McLaren ‘ambassador’ this year after quitting F1.

But McLaren and Alonso’s Indy 500 effort in May was an absolute failure, and a British media report claimed that the two parties have now split altogether.

McLaren supremo Zak Brown told the Associated Press that the report was “fake news”.

“We definitely still have a strong and contractual relationship with Fernando,” he said.

A McLaren statement added that “nothing whatsoever has changed in the relationship”.

It added that “no decision” has been taken about another joint Indy 500 assault, however.

On Twitter, Alonso said the reports of his McLaren split were more suited to “April fools”, and were a mere push for internet “clicks”.

And a source close to the 37-year-old told El Mundo Deportivo newspaper: “Everything remains the same. Nothing has changed.”

However, it is believed Alonso is eyeing a potential return to Formula 1, but only with a top team like Mercedes or Ferrari.

And Geri Halliwell, the former Spice Girl who is married to Red Bull boss Christian Horner, told Servus TV: “We should bring back the greats of the past.

“Alonso, for example,” she added.

Related News

  • 13/04/2017 Indy 500 ‘not step away from F1’ – Alonso Apr.13 (GMM) Fernando Alonso insists his decision to skip next month's prestigious Monaco grand prix does not indicate his commitment to F1 is flagging. "No, it (Indy) is a single race," […]
  • 17/11/2017 McLaren ‘open’ to Alonso’s Le Mans foray Nov.17 (GMM) Zak Brown has given the strongest sign yet that Fernando Alonso will be allowed to contest next year's fabled Le Mans race. "In an ideal world, we would love Fernando to win […]
  • 24/05/2019 Alonso said buying Indy 500 seat ‘unethical’ May 24 (GMM) Fernando Alonso ruled out taking over countryman Oriol Servia's seat in the Indy 500 because it was "unethical". That is not the claim of Alonso, or his boss Zak Brown, but […]
  • 20/10/2018 No Indycar season for McLaren, Alonso in 2019 Oct.20 (GMM) McLaren has decided against entering a full-time team in the Indycar series for 2019. It coincides with related news that the retiring McLaren driver Fernando Alonso is also […]
  • 05/02/2018 Ferrari-Liberty showdown ‘inevitable’ – Brown Feb.5 (GMM) Zak Brown thinks the showdown between Ferrari and Liberty Media was "inevitable". With Liberty reportedly proposing a fairer income distribution system among other things, […]
  • 15/01/2019 McLaren to race ‘very different car’ in 2019 Jan.15 (GMM) McLaren will head into the 2019 season with a "very different car". That is the claim of team boss Zak Brown, who indicated that the once-great British team's recent […]
  • 01/03/2019 McLaren drivers back driving role for Alonso Mar.1 (GMM) McLaren's race drivers do not have a problem with Fernando Alonso testing their car in 2019. Alonso, who quit the team and sport at the end of last year but is now a test […]
  • 24/05/2019 Alonso-McLaren relationship not broken – Brown May 24 (GMM) Zak Brown insists McLaren's relationship with Fernando Alonso is not broken. After almost winning the Indy 500 with the Andretti entry in 2017, Spaniard Alonso attempted to […]
  • 07/07/2018 No ‘negotiations’ with Raikkonen yet – Brown Jul.7 (GMM) Zak Brown says McLaren has not yet opened contract talks with former team driver Kimi Raikkonen. It is rumoured in the paddock that Fernando Alonso could quit F1 or the […]
  • 26/05/2017 Alonso says no Indycar switch for 2018 May 26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down speculation he could quit formula one and switch full-time to the American equivalent Indycar. The Spaniard is not in Monaco this weekend as […]