Ericsson in no hurry for F1 race return

Jul.8 (GMM) Marcus Ericsson says he is in no hurry to return to the Formula 1 grid.

The Swede lost his Sauber race seat at the end of last year, but retained his connection with the team by remaining Alfa Romeo’s reserve.

Ericsson then returned to the wheel of the car for the post-Austrian GP test.

But the 28-year-old now races in the Indycar series, and says he intends to stay in America in 2020.

“For the moment, I see myself continuing in the US,” he told France’s Auto Hebdo.

“I’m having a good time and I’m starting to understand the intricacies of driving in Indycar,” Ericsson added.

“I would love to stay and see what I can do with more experience. So I’m looking to sign a contract there for 2020. After that, I never close the door.”

Ericsson said recently that the performance of an Indycar cannot compete with F1, but from a racing perspective, he says American open wheelers are better.

“At every race, I know I have the chance to fight at the front,” he now tells Auto Hebdo.

“It’s difficult of course because there are plenty of good drivers, but at least I never have the feeling that there is no chance.

“When I was in F1, I don’t believe I had the same feeling more than once,” Ericsson said.

Related News

  • 04/07/2019 ‘Real races’ in Indycar, not F1 – Ericsson Jul.4 (GMM) Marcus Ericsson says the "real races" occur not in Formula 1, but in Indycar. The Swede, who lost his Sauber seat at the end of last year, is still an Alfa Romeo reserve […]
  • 29/03/2016 F1 ‘not as attractive today’ – Sato Mar.29 (GMM) Former driver Takuma Sato says that, amid the category's obvious challenges, he still loves F1. The Japanese is now a mainstay of America's top open wheeler series Indycar, […]
  • 26/04/2018 Sauber racing Williams now – Ericsson Apr.26 (GMM) Sauber is now racing "on an equal footing" with Williams. That is the claim of Marcus Ericsson, the Swiss team Sauber's Swedish driver. Sauber was F1's slowest team in the […]
  • 06/12/2018 Departing Ericsson says F1 ‘artificial’ Dec.6 (GMM) Marcus Ericsson has departed F1 by saying the category is "a bit artificial". The Swede drove in F1 for Caterham and Sauber, but he has lost his race seat for 2019 and is […]
  • 05/12/2017 Ericsson ‘nervous’ before 2018 deal signed Dec.5 (GMM) Marcus Ericsson has admitted he had "a few nervous weeks" before he was re-signed by Sauber for 2018. The Swede was out-scored this year by his teammate Pascal Wehrlein, who […]
  • 29/09/2017 Palmer eyeing ‘long term’ Indycar switch for 2018 Sep.29 (GMM) Jolyon Palmer has admitted he is eyeing a potential switch to Indycar for 2018. After a tough couple of seasons with Renault, the son of former F1 driver Jonathan Palmer […]
  • 13/09/2018 Giovinazzi on pole for second Sauber seat Sep.13 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi has emerged on pole position to be Kimi Raikkonen's teammate at Sauber next year. Currently, the Ferrari-bound Charles Leclerc's teammate at the Swiss […]
  • 06/12/2017 Keeping Sauber secret ‘difficult’ – Leclerc Dec.6 (GMM) Charles Leclerc admits it was "difficult" to keep F1's worst kept secret in the second half of the 2017 season. Most F1 insiders suspected the Monaco-born 20-year-old would […]
  • 23/11/2017 Sauber set for driver, Alfa Romeo announcements Nov.23 (GMM) Sauber is shaping up to make announcements this week in Abu Dhabi. It is expected that Pascal Wehrlein will leave the Swiss team after Sunday's 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi, to […]
  • 15/12/2017 Giovinazzi not giving up after Sauber snub Dec.15 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he is keeping his chin up despite missing out on the Sauber seat for 2018. His fellow Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc is making the full-time step up […]