Brown to discuss Alonso’s 2020 plans at Monza

Aug.14 (GMM) Zak Brown says he will talk about Fernando Alonso’s future at the forthcoming Italian GP.

It appears that Alonso is not returning to Formula 1 next year, and there are rumours that his 2020 project will in fact be his debut at the off-road Dakar rally.

But McLaren is entering the full Indycar championship next year, and supremo Brown wants Alonso to be involved.

“I have to say he has not shown interest in the full season so far,” Brown is quoted by Spain’s El Confidencial.

“But I think his desire to win the Indy 500 is undiminished. He is aware of our Indy project and we will talk about it at Monza.”

Brown will clearly try to convince the 38-year-old to sign up for the full 2020 season.

“He would be very well received, he would enjoy it and knowing the way he drives, I think he would be very successful,” he said.

Related News

  • 20/10/2018 No Indycar season for McLaren, Alonso in 2019 Oct.20 (GMM) McLaren has decided against entering a full-time team in the Indycar series for 2019. It coincides with related news that the retiring McLaren driver Fernando Alonso is also […]
  • 10/08/2017 McLaren set for Indycar return in future Aug.10 (GMM) McLaren may not be heading back to Indycar this year, but the future is another matter entirely. That is the claim of Mark Miles, the boss of the premier American open […]
  • 09/02/2018 Alonso could do Indy 500 again in 2019 Feb.9 (GMM) Fernando Alonso could return to the Indy 500 in 2019. But Zak Brown, his boss at McLaren, played down the chances the British team might follow Alonso to America with a fully […]
  • 06/09/2018 Andretti hopes Alonso makes Indycar switch Sep.6 (GMM) Michael Andretti says he hopes Fernando Alonso makes the switch to Indycar for 2019. Disenchanted Spaniard Alonso is quitting F1 at the end of the year, but it is not known […]
  • 17/10/2017 McLaren Indycar team ‘years’ away – Brown Oct.17 (GMM) "Years" will pass before McLaren fields a team in the full Indycar season. That is the view of the British team's executive Zak Brown. This year, McLaren paired with […]
  • 31/05/2019 Briatore hints Alonso-McLaren Indy 500 project over May 31 (GMM) Flavio Briatore has given a strong hint that Fernando Alonso will not return to the Indy 500 with McLaren. Fully competitive with an Andretti car in 2017 before an engine […]
  • 26/05/2018 Alonso to Indycar rumour emerges May 26 (GMM) The next rumour regarding Fernando Alonso's future has emerged in the Monaco paddock. Earlier, with McLaren's Zak Brown saying he wants to keep the Spaniard, it emerged that […]
  • 11/06/2017 No McLaren Indycar team for now – Brown Jun.11 (GMM) Zak Brown has played down rumours McLaren could launch a full-time Indycar team. Fernando Alonso was recently competitive as he skipped Monaco to do the Indy 500, with a […]
  • 06/08/2018 Indycar move possible for Alonso – Brown Aug.6 (GMM) Zak Brown has admitted it is possible Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren and F1 for the Indycar series in 2019. Brown, the McLaren team boss, said the Spaniard is "very […]
  • 26/05/2017 Alonso says no Indycar switch for 2018 May 26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down speculation he could quit formula one and switch full-time to the American equivalent Indycar. The Spaniard is not in Monaco this weekend as […]