Indy 500 winner Pagenaud wants F1 test

Aug.7 (GMM) 2019 Indy 500 winner Simon Pagenaud says he would like to test a Formula 1 car.

The 35-year-old Frenchman, who also won the Indycar championship in 2016, waved the chequered flag at the recent Hungarian GP. He was a guest of the Renault team.

“I love F1,” he told RMC.

“I was in Hungary to see friends and meet some people. Renault was nice enough to invite me. It was nice, but for now, my future is what I am doing in Indycar.”

However, Pagenaud said he is still interested in European racing, which is where his career began. For instance, he plans to “return to Le Mans and finish the job I started”.

And he admitted: “I would like to test a Formula 1 car. I’d like to give it a try to see what the cars are like.

“It would be nice but that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. And (Indycar team boss) Roger Penske would also have to agree,” Pagenaud added.

He would not comment on his contractual situation with Penske, but insisted he has no regrets about taking his motor racing career to America.

“That was my path and I succeeded,” he said.

Related News

  • 08/06/2018 Alonso not sure about next racing step Jun.8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is not finished with formula one -- even though he admits he is not sure what will happen next. Next weekend, the Spaniard will race at Le Mans, amid […]
  • 19/11/2018 Alonso not ruling out F1 return for 2020 Nov.19 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is not ruling out a full-time return to formula one for 2019. Disenchanted with the category, the double world champion is retiring after this weekend's Abu […]
  • 05/05/2017 Indycar boss says Alonso move good for F1 too May 5 (GMM) Indycar boss Mark Miles thinks Fernando Alonso's Indy 500 foray is good not only for the American series, but also formula one. This week, F1 chief Chase Carey said of the […]
  • 19/06/2018 Indy 500 ‘high priority’ again – Alonso Jun.19 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says tackling the Indy 500 yet again is now a "high priority". When the Spaniard announced he was going to contest last year's fabled US-based oval race, he […]
  • 24/06/2018 Zak Brown wants Alonso to stay in F1 Jan.24 (GMM) Zak Brown says McLaren does not want to lose Fernando Alonso. Actually, the Spanish driver is already under contract beyond 2018, but that ties him only to McLaren as a […]
  • 15/08/2018 Indycar, Nascar begin to woo retiring Alonso Aug.15 (GMM) Motor racing series have already begun lining up to attract Fernando Alonso for 2019. The Spaniard and McLaren have sensationally announced that Alonso, 37, is quitting […]
  • 17/08/2018 Alonso not ruling out future F1 return Aug.17 (GMM) Although sitting out 2019, Fernando Alonso says he is not ruling out a return to formula one in the future. "Why close doors?" the Spaniard said at Silverstone after […]
  • 06/09/2018 Andretti hopes Alonso makes Indycar switch Sep.6 (GMM) Michael Andretti says he hopes Fernando Alonso makes the switch to Indycar for 2019. Disenchanted Spaniard Alonso is quitting F1 at the end of the year, but it is not known […]
  • 30/06/2018 Alonso admits 2018 could be last F1 season Jun.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has admitted that this season could be his last in formula one. The Spaniard, once a two-time champion, is still acknowledged as one of the best on the grid […]
  • 19/07/2016 Rossi back on F1 radar after Indy 500 win Jul.19 (GMM) Alexander Rossi might have re-booted his F1 aspirations by winning the fabled Indianapolis 500 this year. The Californian lost his Manor seat at the end of last year and for […]