Liberty in F1 race talks with Saudi Arabia

Aug.6 (GMM) Liberty Media is in talks with Saudi Arabia about a grand prix in the controversial Kingdom for 2021.

London’s Times newspaper reveals that talks between Saudi officials and F1’s owner have taken place “several” times.

Correspondent Rebecca Clancy also said the “teams have been asked for their views” about racing in Saudi Arabia, which is often accused of human rights violations.

But the expansion of the currently 21-race calendar to 22 races next year and then even more in 2021 and beyond will also be controversial.

“If you look at 2021, at the moment we are discussing for 24 races,” said Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto.

Claire Williams confirmed: “We are incredibly worried about the prospect of having 24, 25 races on the calendar.

“Asking the people who work for us to travel as much as that is a huge undertaking,” she said.

“Bringing new parts to 21 races is hard work, bringing new parts to 25 is going to bring even more pressure on our businesses, so that for me is a huge concern.”

Related News

  • 07/08/2019 Broadcaster slams F1’s Saudi Arabia talks Aug.7 (GMM) A Qatari broadcaster has slammed Formula 1 for contemplating a grand prix in Saudi Arabia. This week, it emerged that Liberty Media is in talks with the powerful Kingdom for […]
  • 01/05/2019 News emerges about future F1 calendar May 1 (GMM) The F1 calendar of the future is now shaping up. Earlier, there was doubt about the future of the historic races at Monza, Silverstone and Barcelona, and reports that […]
  • 19/10/2017 Saudi Arabia to host Race of Champions Oct.19 (GMM) F1 drivers will head to Saudi Arabia early next year for the annual Race of Champions. The Saudi capital of Riyadh will be a controversial choice of venue for the motor […]
  • 05/07/2019 Alonso ‘keen’ to do Dakar Rally – Sainz snr Jul.5 (GMM) Rallying legend Carlos Sainz snr says Fernando Alonso is "very keen" to contest the famous Dakar Rally. At present, two-time champion Alonso is playing down rumours linking […]
  • 02/10/2016 Current 21-race calendar ‘too much’ – Alonso Oct.2 (GMM) Fernando Alonso thinks the current F1 calendar is at the limit. There are 21 races this year and there will be 21 again in 2017, but beyond that, the sport's new owner […]
  • 30/03/2016 Allison takes break after death of wife Mar.30 (GMM) James Allison is spending some time away from formula one as he mourns the recent death of his wife, it has emerged. On his wife Rebecca's Facebook page, the 48-year-old […]
  • 25/05/2019 Williams says Villeneuve comments ‘irritating’ May 25 (GMM) Claire Williams has admitted comments made recently by the team's last world champion Jacques Villeneuve were "irritating". Under her leadership, the once-great British team […]
  • 26/05/2018 FIA boss Todt ‘neglects F1’ – Ecclestone May 26 (GMM) Former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has lashed out at Jean Todt. Ousted by Liberty Media at the beginning of last year, the 87-year-old admitted to being "worried about the […]
  • 14/02/2017 F1 faces potential $168m fine – report Feb.14 (GMM) F1 is inching closer to a full investigation by the European Commission. That is the claim of London's Times newspaper, revealing that politicians want the body to look into […]
  • 24/07/2019 Renault not committing to F1 beyond 2020 Jul.24 (GMM) Renault is not yet committing to supplying customer engines to McLaren beyond 2020. At present, there are rumours that McLaren could switch to Mercedes power for 2021, with […]