Raikkonen ‘drives without instructions’ – Zehnder

Aug.13 (GMM) Alfa Romeo, formerly Sauber, is more than impressed with Kimi Raikkonen.

Raikkonen actually started his F1 career at Sauber as a controversially-inexperienced 21-year-old, with Beat Zehnder as the team manager.

Zehnder is still at Hinwil, and he told Auto Motor und Sport he is now even more impressed with Raikkonen after his 21 wins and the 2007 title.

“Kimi drives without instructions,” Zehnder enthused. Indeed, Raikkonen is famous for once telling his Lotus engineer over the radio: “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.”

Alfa Romeo is even somewhat of a one-driver team at present, as Antonio Giovinazzi has scored just 1 of the team’s 31 points so far in 2019.

“We let him down a bit at the beginning of the season,” Zehnder said of the Italian. “But now he is improving more and more.”

But 39-year-old Raikkonen, he says, is a different thing entirely.

“Kimi does it all by himself,” said Zehnder. “He understands everything.

“The engineers discuss with each other whether we need to change an engine setting, but at that very moment, Kimi changes it on his own. He knows exactly what he has to do and when,” he said.

Related News

  • 13/07/2017 Alfa Romeo may power Haas in F1 – report Jul.13 (GMM) Alfa Romeo could be ready to enter formula one. Some time ago, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne said the iconic Italian name "should be reiterated as a sports brand and […]
  • 01/08/2019 Alfa Romeo undecided over German GP penalty appeal Aug.1 (GMM) Alfa Romeo has not decided whether to push ahead with its appeal against a penalty that cost both race drivers points at Hockenheim. Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi […]
  • 07/03/2019 Alfa Romeo has ‘good car’ for 2019 – Giovinazzi Mar.7 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says Alfa Romeo has produced a "good" car for 2019. Many are even predicting that the former Sauber team, with its ever closer ties to Ferrari, might be […]
  • 17/11/2016 Giovinazzi to turn down Mercedes offer Nov.17 (GMM) GP2 championship favourite Antonio Giovinazzi looks set to turn down an offer from Mercedes. The 22-year-old Italian has been linked with an impending move into F1 for 2017, […]
  • 15/12/2017 Giovinazzi not giving up after Sauber snub Dec.15 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he is keeping his chin up despite missing out on the Sauber seat for 2018. His fellow Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc is making the full-time step up […]
  • 15/12/2017 20 new staff to join Sauber for 2018 Dec.15 (GMM) With its newly signed title sponsor Alfa Romeo, Sauber is already ramping up its bid to end its backmarker status. Auto Motor und Sport reports that the beleaguered Swiss […]
  • 11/01/2019 Arrivabene linked with Sauber role Jan.11 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen thinks Sauber can do "great things" from 2019. The Swiss team took a big step forward last year with its up-to-date Ferrari engine, leadership by Frederic […]
  • 14/06/2019 Giovinazzi eyes ‘solutions’ to 2019 struggle Jun.14 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he is focused on improving his situation. Of the 20 drivers on the grid, it is Robert Kubica at Williams and Giovinazzi at Alfa Romeo who are […]
  • 14/05/2019 Alfa Romeo could axe Giovinazzi – Lehto May 14 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi needs to up his game. That is the view of former F1 driver JJ Lehto, who warned that if the Italian driver doesn't improve, he is at risk of being ousted […]
  • 13/03/2019 Giovinazzi must be careful early in 2019 – Trulli Mar.13 (GMM) Another driver has urged Antonio Giovinazzi to take it steady in 2019. Days ago, Giancarlo Fisichella said his fellow Italian should "keep a margin in his pocket" when out […]