Vettel defends Ferrari boss Binotto

Aug.14 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel has defended his Ferrari team boss.

At the end of last year, presumably because of another failed world championship bid, former Ferrari chief Maurizio Arrivabene was ousted.

He was replaced by then technical boss Mattia Binotto, whose much more open and relaxed style has been hailed by the press.

But on track, Ferrari is continuing to falter, and is now at risk of being beaten not just by Mercedes but also by a resurgent Red Bull-Honda.

So when asked to assess whether Binotto is a better bet than Arrivabene, Vettel said: “I don’t think it’s fair to compare the two of them.

“Every year and every situation is different,” the German, who Binotto says will stay at Ferrari in 2020, added.

“The situation is not easy. We didn’t have the first half of the season we were hoping for,” Vettel continued.

“Still, the whole team has remained focused and calm.”

As for Binotto, Vettel says: “His role is different (compared to before), but the team is very similar to 12 months ago. But I think that’s positive.

“We have to improve. We have to become stronger as a team,” he added. “Only the coming months will show if we have chosen the right direction.

“But Mattia is doing very well and keeping everyone together. At the same time he reminds us about where we want to go.”

Vettel had a stronger few races leading into the August break, but F1 legend Alain Prost does not think the difficult times are over for his fellow quadruple world champion.

“He was on the podium in the previous two races, but that does not mean that this difficult period in his career is over,” Prost told Canal Plus.

“It seems to me that Sebastian is still uncomfortable, and that’s understandable because he expected more from the past few years.

“But I hope that he will deal with the difficulties and fight for victories again,” Prost, now a Renault team official, added.

Related News

  • 18/04/2017 Ferrari denies 2017 car not suited to Raikkonen Apr.18 (GMM) Ferrari has denied claims its 2017 car is more suited to the driving style of Sebastian Vettel. With his contract expiring, Finnish veteran Kimi Raikkonen has struggled at […]
  • 07/07/2018 Wolff wants Hamilton beyond 2020 Jul.7 (GMM) Toto Wolff has revealed he wants to keep Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes even beyond 2020. Although not yet announced, it is now common knowledge in the paddock that the four-time […]
  • 29/03/2018 Vettel admits ‘struggling’ with 2018 Ferrari Mar.29 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel has admitted he does not yet feel at home at the wheel of this year's Ferrari. As in 2017, the German kicked off his new championship campaign with a win -- […]
  • 11/05/2016 ‘Too early’ to say title already gone – Vettel May 11 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel insists the race for the 2016 world championship is still wide open. After Nico Rosberg's four consecutive wins so far, some insiders are saying the […]
  • 03/08/2019 Binotto, Vettel looking ahead to 2020 Aug.3 (GMM) Ferrari appears to be looking ahead to 2020. But Sebastian Vettel, despite his 84 point gap to the championship lead, says it would make no sense to "throw in the towel" this […]
  • 20/04/2015 Vettel says Ferrari could be last F1 team Apr.20 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel thinks Ferrari could be his last stop in formula one. The 27-year-old switched to the fabled Maranello marque for 2015, and is believed to have signed at […]
  • 26/05/2019 Ferrari a ‘young team’ like in 1995 – Binotto May 26 (GMM) Mattia Binotto has likened Ferrari's current situation to the days immediately before Michael Schumacher joined the great Maranello team and started dominating. After a […]
  • 13/08/2019 ‘No reason’ to change Ferrari drivers – Binotto Aug.13 (GMM) Mattia Binotto says Ferrari will head into 2020 with an unchanged driver lineup. There has been high speculation about the future of Sebastian Vettel, with the latest theory […]
  • 27/07/2019 German GP demise about ‘dollar bills’ – Vettel Jul.27 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel thinks the demise of the German GP is about "dollar bills". With Vietnam and Zandvoort joining the already bustling calendar for 2020, it appears that […]
  • 07/09/2017 No ‘serious’ interest in 11th, 12th teams spots – Todt Sep.7 (GMM) F1 looks set to stay at just ten teams for now. Recently, FIA president Jean Todt confirmed reports that a couple of groups have expressed interest in filling the last two […]