‘Ferrari should threaten to quit over Monza exit’

Jun.29 (GMM) Ferrari should threaten to quit F1 in order to save the embattled Italian grand prix.

That is the view of the regional Lombardy president Roberto Maroni, as the uncertainty over Monza’s annual place on the calendar continues for now.

He is quoted by Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport: “(Bernie) Ecclestone must realise that he can do whatever he wants, except touch Monza.

“The grand prix at Monza cannot be lost, and on this we are ready to go to war,” Maroni added.

“You cannot for purely economic reasons delete the history of formula one that goes with the grand prix at Monza,” he insisted.

“The right way is to apply pressure, involving public opinion, the Italian government and Ferrari.

“So I would like Ferrari to say ‘If there is no longer a grand prix at Monza, Ferrari will no longer participate in formula one’.

“On Monday I will meet (Sergio) Marchionne for the opening of the Alfa museum and I will talk to him about this,” Maroni said.

Related News

  • 30/06/2015 Lombardy says Ferrari to help Monza keep F1 Jun.30 (GMM) Ferrari is willing to help Monza keep the Italian grand prix. That is the claim of regional Lombardy president Roberto Maroni, just a day after he vowed to "to go war" with […]
  • 28/05/2016 Region pledges millions to end Monza standoff May 28 (GMM) Lombardy, one of Italy's twenty regional governments, has pledged EUR 5 million in a bid to end the stand-off between Monza and Bernie Ecclestone. Amid rising speculation […]
  • 02/09/2015 Monza rescue talks to hit highest gear Sep.2 (GMM) Talks to secure Monza's future on the F1 calendar will step into a high gear this weekend. Bernie Ecclestone has warned that unless a new deal is agreed, the historic circuit […]
  • 23/04/2016 Ecclestone in Milan for Monza talks Apr.23 (GMM) Monza's F1 future may have come to a head during a meeting in Milan late this week. Amid Monza's troubled negotiations with Bernie Ecclestone, La Gazzetta dello Sport […]
  • 04/07/2015 Monza officials meet Ecclestone once again Jul.4 (GMM) Monza is stepping up its campaign to save the embattled Italian grand prix. After one recent meeting moved Bernie Ecclestone to declare "stalemate", officials of the fabled […]
  • 02/07/2015 Imola bid also gaining regional support Jul.2 (GMM) Imola's bid to return to the F1 calendar is also gaining regional support. Earlier, the president of the Lombardy region, Roberto Maroni, made clear he is campaigning to […]
  • 03/09/2016 2017 Monza contract not signed yet Sep.3 (GMM) The Italian grand prix saga is still not over, as the contract was not actually signed on Friday. Bernie Ecclestone, Jean Todt and Lombardy president Roberto Maroni announced […]
  • 15/02/2016 Maroni eyes Monza deal ‘in coming weeks’ Feb.15 (GMM) Monza, the historic host of the Italian grand prix, is still facing an uncertain future on the annual F1 calendar. While recently it seemed funding problems had been solved […]
  • 28/07/2015 Italian PM invited to fight for Monza Jul.28 (GMM) The Italian prime minister could add more muscle to Monza's fight to retain its historic formula one race. With Bernie Ecclestone and race organisers at a stalemate in their […]
  • 03/05/2016 Lombardy concerned over Monza deal delay May 3 (GMM) Lombardy president Roberto Maroni has admitted he is "concerned" a new deal for Monza's Italian grand prix is taking too long. Increasingly, it is clear political problems […]