Red Bull not commenting on Webber claims

Jun.30 (GMM) Red Bull declined to comment on Mark Webber’s latest claims about his intense rivalry with former teammate Sebastian Vettel.

Earlier this month, quadruple world champion Vettel said he was not concerned amid reports his old Australian rival would ‘tell all’ in a forthcoming autobiography.

To be published in July, the book will reportedly go into new detail about what happened behind the scenes during their intense relationship as Red Bull teammates.

Webber, now retired from F1 and racing for Porsche at Le Mans, offered a glimpse of what he will reveal on Monday, as he was interviewed by the Australian broadcaster ABC.

The 38-year-old suggested that, after he won two grands prix from pole, it was actually Vettel who began to receive preferential treatment by Red Bull.

“I’ve just won the previous two grands prix from start to finish and then a new rear wing arrives and goes over to the other side of the garage,” said Webber.

“You just think there was a bit of an agenda going on,” he told the Australian Story programme.

Webber’s partner and manager Ann Neal added: “We got the impression that Sebastian wasn’t happy with how things were going, this old Aussie was beating him and it wasn’t really the way it was supposed to be.”

She suggested that in that situation, Red Bull put ‘the focus’ on its young German star.

“Even if he (Webber) was leading the championship, winning races, the focus would be off Mark trying to get Sebastian back into the battle,” said Neal.

Then, Neal recalled, came the duo’s infamous crash in Turkey.

“I think 99.9 per cent of the watching population knew that Sebastian was at fault,” she said.

“The remainder blamed it on Mark and that included his team, which I was absolutely blown away by.”

Vettel, of course, went on to win not only the 2010 world championship but also the titles in 2011 and 2012, before their rivalry spiralled out of control in 2013 in Malaysia at a race now famous for staging the ‘Multi-21’ affair.

“The team after Multi-21 were disappointed, no question about it, they were shown how toothless they were,” Webber said on Monday.

He said Vettel was initially contrite, privately acknowledging that he “fuc*ked up so bad” by ignoring team orders.

“I don’t know who spoke to him between Malaysia and China but we had a discussion in China and it didn’t go well,” Webber continued.

“He just said that he had massive respect for me as a driver but not so much as a person, so that really affected the relationship.

“(Red Bull) just needed something to change so, you know, I helped that decision for them and left,” he said, referring to his retirement from F1 at the end of the season.

Vettel claimed earlier in June that time is now healing the wounds, and Webber confirmed that the German has acknowledged their rivalry could have been handled better.

“He (Vettel) said ‘Yes, we all look back and say would we do things differently’, and he says ‘absolutely, yes’,” said Webber.

ABC said Red Bull “declined an interview” when approached. “Red Bull declined to comment on matters raised in (the) programme,” the broadcaster added.

Related News

  • 06/05/2015 Webber no longer ‘at odds’ with Vettel May 6 (GMM) Mark Webber has admitted the venom has gone from his relationship with former F1 teammate Sebastian Vettel. The pair were teammates at Red Bull until the Australian's […]
  • 31/08/2015 Vettel ‘100pc right’ over Pirelli outburst – Webber Aug.31 (GMM) Mark Webber has backed his former teammate Sebastian Vettel's expletive-filled rant about the quality of the tyres supplied in F1 by Pirelli. The pair rarely saw eye-to-eye […]
  • 25/02/2015 Vettel exit could hurt Red Bull – Webber Feb.25 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel's team switch for 2015 could hurt Red Bull and help Ferrari. that is the claim of the former F1 star Mark Webber, even though they were the best of enemies […]
  • 16/06/2015 F1’s Hulkenberg, Mallya, put Le Mans in focus Jun.16 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has named Nico Hulkenberg as one of the very best drivers in F1 today. Before German Hulkenberg won Le Mans on debut at the weekend, the Spanish broadcaster […]
  • 18/08/2016 Ferrari a ‘great disappointment’ in 2016 – Webber Aug.18 (GMM) Mark Webber does not think Mercedes' rivals are quite ready to pounce on the German team's dominance. The Australian's former team, Red Bull, has sped past Ferrari in recent […]
  • 01/07/2015 Vettel involved lawyers over ‘Multi-21’ – Webber Jul.1 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel threatened to sue Red Bull over the 'Multi-21' affair of 2013. That is the explosive revelation in Mark Webber's newly-published autobiography Aussie Grit. […]
  • 30/04/2015 Media ponders reasons for Alonso’s Le Mans absence Apr.30 (GMM) Last year, it seemed clear that Fernando Alonso would be joining Mark Webber and Nico Hulkenberg in a F1 super-team lineup for Porsche at the 2015 Le Mans 24 hours. The […]
  • 01/05/2015 Alonso also decided against Le Mans – McLaren May 1 (GMM) The decision to sit out Le Mans this year was also taken by Fernando Alonso himself, McLaren insists. This week, during the three-week lull between grands prix, the media has […]
  • 16/06/2015 Chester thinks F1 car could win Le Mans Jun.16 (GMM) Lotus' technical boss thinks a formula one car could win at Le Mans. The fabled 24 hour sports car race is in the headlines at present, after full-time Force India driver […]
  • 15/10/2015 Boss says F1 calendar ‘attack’ on Le Mans Oct.15 (GMM) Le Mans chief Gerard Neveu says F1's re-jigged calendar for 2016 is "a clear attack" on the fabled 24 hour endurance race. FIA president Jean Todt has already approved and […]