No room at Porsche for Alonso – boss

Apr.19 (GMM) Porsche has played down claims it will host Fernando Alonso’s bid for 2018 Le Mans victory.

The Spaniard is tackling next month’s Indy 500, as part of his stated push to win the ‘Triple Crown’ of motor sport — Monaco, Indy and the fabled 24 hour endurance race.

Reports said Porsche’s LMP1 project is what Alonso is targeting for his 2018 Le Mans assault.

But team boss Andreas Seidl told Auto Bild: “We have six drivers with whom we are very satisfied — and with whom we are planning for the long term.

“Alonso is an interesting driver and two years ago we could have put something together. But now we do not have a third prototype — and there are currently no plans to change,” he added.

Related News

  • 17/04/2017 Alonso, McLaren deny 2018 Le Mans reports Apr.17 (GMM) Fernando Alonso and McLaren have played down reports suggesting the Spaniard will definitely contest next year's fabled 24 hour Le Mans race. The news follows the shock […]
  • 28/12/2016 Alonso is Vandoorne’s ‘worst enemy’ – Ickx Dec.28 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne's "worst enemy" in 2017 will be his highly rated teammate Fernando Alonso. That is the claim of F1 legend Jacky Ickx, a Belgian driver of the 60s and 70s […]
  • 16/06/2016 Hulkenberg says no Le Mans ‘in foreseeable future’ Jun.16 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg does not think he will be returning to Le Mans in "the foreseeable future". Despite racing full-time in F1, the German is actually the fabled 24 hour […]
  • 02/06/2017 Alonso ‘wasting time’ at McLaren – Andretti Jun.2 (GMM) Motor racing legend Mario Andretti says Fernando Alonso is "wasting" his time at McLaren-Honda. Last weekend, the Spaniard skipped Monaco in order to tackle the fabled Indy […]
  • 11/06/2016 Hulkenberg to ‘definitely’ return to Le Mans Jun.11 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg says he definitely wants to return to Le Mans one day. Last year, the German stunned the motor racing world by filling a gap in the F1 calendar with winning […]
  • 19/05/2015 F1 and Le Mans ‘not that different’ – Hulkenberg May 19 (GMM) There is "not much difference" between Nico Hulkenberg's two cars, according to the German. The Force India driver is heading into a very busy time in his personal 2015 […]
  • 12/09/2015 Hulkenberg eyes Le Mans title defence in 2016 Sep.12 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has announced he wants to defend his title as Le Mans winner in 2016. The German has secured a new two-year deal with Force India, after this season […]
  • 26/05/2017 Alonso says no Indycar switch for 2018 May 26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down speculation he could quit formula one and switch full-time to the American equivalent Indycar. The Spaniard is not in Monaco this weekend as […]
  • 12/06/2015 Le Mans for ‘real men’ – Hulkenberg Jun.12 (GMM) Le Mans is a circuit for "real men" of motor racing. That is the claim of Nico Hulkenberg, who has qualified a strong third overall for his debut in the fabled 24 hour race […]
  • 20/04/2017 Vandoorne can relax amid McLaren crisis – Boullier Apr.20 (GMM) Eric Boullier insists F1 rookie Stoffel Vandoorne is "not under pressure" amid McLaren-Honda's current performance crisis. One analysis of the situation might be that with […]