Sainz fends off 2019 Red Bull switch rumours

Nov.9 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has batted away rumours his stay at Renault could be fleeting.

The Spaniard has moved from the Red Bull family to the works Renault team, as part of the complex deal that sees Toro Rosso switch to Honda power for 2018.

But Sainz, 23, is merely on ‘loan’, with Christian Horner insisting that he can be pulled away to Red Bull for 2019 if Daniel Ricciardo decides to leave.

When asked about that, Sainz fended off the question.

“I feel very good at Renault,” he told EFE news agency ahead of the Brazilian grand prix.

“They have made me feel at home from day one, helping me to adapt to the team and the car very quickly, in addition to the desire I had to join the team and move forward.”

Sainz said that, like Red Bull, Renault is also a F1 “world champion”, insisting: “Everything about 2019 and the Red Bull rumours do not interest me right now.”

He also defended Renault amid criticism of widespread reliability problems, saying: “They are small problems, and I would not even call them problems.

“They are simply problems with experience, with adaptation of how the car reacts to different situations in the race,” said Sainz.

Related News

  • 21/09/2017 Sainz can race for Red Bull in 2019 – report Sep.21 (GMM) Carlos Sainz could wind up at Red Bull's senior F1 team in 2019. It is already known that the Spaniard will move from the energy drink company's junior team, Toro Rosso, to […]
  • 19/04/2017 Red Bull not letting Sainz go – Horner Apr.19 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull does not intend to release Carlos Sainz from his contract. Last year, the impressive Toro Rosso driver was linked with a move to Renault, but […]
  • 20/06/2016 Sainz waiting for Red Bull’s decision on future Jun.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz looks set to stay at Toro Rosso for a third consecutive season in 2017. Amid rumours of interest from Ferrari and Renault, it is believed Red Bull has decided […]
  • 17/07/2017 Red Bull to consider Sainz release – Horner Jul.17 (GMM) Red Bull chiefs and Carlos Sainz have hit back at suggestions the Spanish driver will switch to Renault ahead of the forthcoming Hungarian GP. It is claimed Renault wants to […]
  • 10/07/2017 Horner tips Red Bull to keep Kvyat Jul.10 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat is on track to stay at Toro Rosso in 2018. That is the view of Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner, even though the Russian was criticised on all sides for […]
  • 05/05/2016 Kvyat, Verstappen to swap seats for Barcelona May 5 (GMM) Red Bull Racing has ousted Daniil Kvyat and replaced him with Max Verstappen ahead of the Spanish grand prix next weekend. F1today.net, a Dutch website, had cited 'various […]
  • 31/07/2017 Horner not commenting on Toro Rosso-Honda link Jul.31 (GMM) Another senior figure in the Red Bull camp has declined to comment on reports Toro Rosso is set to become Honda-powered in 2018. Already in Hungary, the Red Bull junior […]
  • 12/06/2015 Renault plays down fifth engine penalties Jun.12 (GMM) Renault has played down the impact of the ten-place grid penalties now being served by its F1 customers. The penalties are due to the sport's long-life engine rules, this […]
  • 02/10/2015 Sainz hopes Red Bull engine crisis over ‘soon’ Oct.2 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has admitted to some nervousness about Red Bull's F1 crisis. The energy drink company has threatened to pull both of its teams out of the sport because, as […]
  • 21/06/2017 McLaren eyeing Sainz as 2018 ‘plan B’ – report Jun.21 (GMM) McLaren is lining up Carlos Sainz as a 'plan B' in the event Fernando Alonso quits the team after 2017. That is the claim of Josep Viaplana, the F1 correspondent for the […]