Toro Rosso partnership to be ‘more equal’ – Honda

Nov.29 (GMM) Honda thinks it will have a “more equal partnership” with Toro Rosso in 2018 after three ill-fated years with McLaren.

The Japanese marque’s Yusuke Hasegawa admitted this week that Honda was “not ready” to link up with a “top team” like McLaren back in 2015.

So with that relationship now ended, Honda will power the Red Bull-owned Toro Rosso cars next year, and Hasegawa said engineers are already hard at work.

“We’ve been the ones making the majority of requests so far, but it’s fair to say this will be a more equal partnership than it was with McLaren in terms of leadership,” he said.

“Obviously Honda as a company is huge but we had little recent F1 experience. So from that point of view McLaren was still leading us. That won’t be the same with Toro Rosso,” Hasegawa added.

He said Honda will begin the Toro Rosso relationship with an engine that is based on the one used by McLaren this year.

“It will remain the same power unit concept from this year, so we are able to use the current one as the starting point,” Hasegawa confirmed.

But he said that with lessons learned from the McLaren era, Honda will not be setting any early targets for 2018.

“We have to provide Brendon (Hartley) and Pierre (Gasly) with the performance they need,” said the Japanese.

“Of course they are very good drivers but they are also rookies in F1 so it’s too early to say what we can target from a constructors’ championship point of view.”

Related News

  • 18/05/2018 Toro Rosso can win with Honda – Key May 18 (GMM) Toro Rosso remains happy with its new relationship with Honda. James Key, the junior Red Bull team's technical boss, said that unlike McLaren in the past three years, Toro […]
  • 20/04/2018 Honda quiet about Red Bull negotiations Apr.20 (GMM) Honda is giving nothing away about the possibility of teaming up with Red Bull in 2019. Red Bull is openly flirting with leaving the Renault camp after this year, and buoyed […]
  • 09/03/2018 Happy Honda ‘calm’ after McLaren split Mar.9 (GMM) Honda is feeling more "calm" after leaving McLaren. That is the claim of sources close to the Japanese manufacturer, as Honda appears to thrive at Toro Rosso and McLaren now […]
  • 20/06/2018 Toro Rosso to keep ‘works’ Honda status Jun.20 (GMM) Toro Rosso will not lose its works status now that senior team Red Bull has signed up to also be powered by Honda engines from 2019. That is the news from Honda's F1 general […]
  • 16/06/2017 ‘Zero tension’ with Alonso – Zak Brown Jun.16 (GMM) Amid the McLaren-Honda crisis, boss Zak Brown insists there is "zero tension" between the great British team and Fernando Alonso. Even with McLaren rumoured to be splitting […]
  • 28/06/2018 Red Bull will remain strong with Honda – Alonso Jun.28 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says Red Bull will remain a strong team even after switching to Honda power. Alonso had a bad experience with works Honda engines with McLaren between 2015 […]
  • 07/03/2018 Toro Rosso giving Honda more ‘freedom’ Mar.7 (GMM) Toro Rosso says it is giving Honda "freedom" to thrive in formula one. After three years of perseverance, McLaren finally called time on its works collaboration with the […]
  • 28/11/2017 Honda ‘wasn’t ready for top team’ – Hasegawa Nov.28 (GMM) Despite the McLaren split, Honda thinks it has finally found the right direction in F1. Although the Japanese marque was effectively dumped by the top British team, Honda's […]
  • 08/12/2017 Son of Honda founder sympathises with Alonso Dec.8 (GMM) Hirotoshi Honda says he can understand Fernando Alonso's disappointment with the failed three-year works McLaren-Honda project. It is believed Alonso pushed for McLaren to […]
  • 16/07/2018 Tost defends Honda before Red Bull move Jul.16 (GMM) Franz Tost has defended Honda amid concerns the Japanese manufacturer is not up to the task of powering the senior Red Bull team from 2019. Tost is the team boss at Toro […]