Drivers to be asked about Miami layout – Todt

May 21 (GMM) Drivers will be consulted about the layout of a second US grand prix in Miami.

That is the claim of FIA president Jean Todt.

Recently, Lewis Hamilton said he was excited about the prospect of a Miami street race next year until he saw the proposed layout.

But Todt says that sort of criticism is jumping the gun.

“We’re talking about a race that doesn’t exist yet,” he told Speed Week.

“Talks are currently underway with the rights holder, and after that we will look at the safety aspect. The drivers will then have the opportunity to contribute their ideas,” Todt added.

Gunther Steiner, boss of the only American team Haas, said he would welcome Miami to the calendar even though there are already 21 races.

“22 races are also possible, even though it’s difficult,” he said.

“I don’t know what Liberty is planning. Maybe we’ll drop a race and be back at 21.

“But I think if we’re adding races like Miami or Copenhagen, that’s certainly good for a global sport like formula one,” Steiner added.

Related News

  • 12/09/2018 Todt happy if calendar swells to 23 races Sep.12 (GMM) Jean Todt says he has no problem if the F1 calendar swells to include some more races. Already, the 21-race calendar for this year and next is controversial, with many […]
  • 21/06/2017 Carey confident all 21 races set for 2018 Jun.21 (GMM) Chase Carey has played down speculation next year's 21-race calendar could actually drop to 19 grands prix. Both China and the popular Singapore night race have been marked […]
  • 24/11/2017 Liberty ‘wants Copenhagen race’ – minister Nov.24 (GMM) Plans for a grand prix on the streets of the Danish capital are still alive. As the world of F1 congregated in Abu Dhabi for the 2017 finale, officials got together in a […]
  • 26/05/2018 FIA boss Todt ‘neglects F1’ – Ecclestone May 26 (GMM) Former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has lashed out at Jean Todt. Ousted by Liberty Media at the beginning of last year, the 87-year-old admitted to being "worried about the […]
  • 25/07/2018 2019 German GP rescue talks underway Jul.25 (GMM) Germany could still have a formula one race next year. With no 2019 deal in place for Hockenheim, a wild rumour did the rounds last weekend that the Nurburgring has made a […]
  • 13/07/2017 25 races ‘not bad’ for F1 staff – Brawn Jul.13 (GMM) Ross Brawn is not ruling out an expansion of the F1 calendar to include 25 races. Recently, after Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso threatened to quit if there are 25 races […]
  • 14/12/2017 Haas puts team expansion plans on hold Dec.14 (GMM) The American team Haas says it has put on hold any plans to expand. Team boss Gunther Steiner said that despite the reputation that the second year is harder for a F1 team, […]
  • 21/07/2018 Miami GP set for 2020 delay Jul.21 (GMM) The new grand prix in Miami looks set to be postponed for a year. Liberty Media wanted the race to take place in 2019, but Auto Motor und Sport claims that after the latest […]
  • 11/12/2017 F1 makes plans for Las Vegas race Dec.11 (GMM) An official has denied that planning for a F1 race in Las Vegas is obviously racing ahead. With Liberty Media often mentioning the desire for a second annual grand prix in […]
  • 05/12/2017 Haas closes door on Ferrari’s Giovinazzi Dec.5 (GMM) Haas appears to have closed the door completely on Antonio Giovinazzi. Since July, the Ferrari junior driver appeared in a Haas cockpit on seven Friday mornings at grands […]