Massa understands Ricciardo’s Renault ‘risk’

Aug.10 (GMM) Felipe Massa says he can understand why Daniel Ricciardo decided to quit Red Bull.

Ricciardo, one of F1’s top drivers, is leaving the top three team at the end of the year to join the works Renault project.

Some think the Australian is moving solely for money, and his current boss Christian Horner suspects he might come to regret the decision.

But former F1 driver Massa says he understands.

“Daniel, like the rest of us, doesn’t know what will happen with the Honda engines next year,” he told Globo.

“He is also not very happy with Max Verstappen. It’s a risk, and it may or may not work out.”

Meanwhile, Red Bull chief Horner said Fernando Alonso will not be replacing Ricciardo in 2019 because of the “chaos” he brings to F1 teams.

On Twitter, Spaniard Alonso reacted with multiple ‘laughing’ emojis, and a hashtag that included the words ‘Nothanks’.

Related News

  • 10/07/2018 Renault felt like Formula 2 engine – Verstappen Jul.10 (GMM) Max Verstappen says he feels as though he has been relegated to Formula 2. In the Honda era, Fernando Alonso at one point called his Honda power unit a "GP2 engine". But […]
  • 19/07/2018 Horner sure Honda right move for Red Bull Jul.19 (GMM) Christian Horner remains confident Honda is the right move for Red Bull. The Red Bull boss said that at Silverstone recently, the team was reassured that deciding to split […]
  • 16/08/2018 Alonso ‘lost motivation’ for F1 – Briatore Aug.16 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is quitting F1 because he lost motivation -- but he could return. That is the news from Flavio Briatore, the former Renault team boss who is still involved […]
  • 20/09/2018 Verstappen says Red Bull didn’t want Alonso Sep.20 (GMM) Max Verstappen says Red Bull never considered signing up Fernando Alonso for 2019. That is despite the fact that, recently, retiring Spaniard Alonso and Red Bull chiefs were […]
  • 24/06/2017 ‘No room’ for Alonso at Red Bull – Horner Jun.24 (GMM) Christian Horner has denied Red Bull might be eyeing Fernando Alonso for 2018. Current McLaren-Honda driver Alonso suggested in Baku that the forthcoming driver 'silly […]
  • 12/06/2015 Renault plays down fifth engine penalties Jun.12 (GMM) Renault has played down the impact of the ten-place grid penalties now being served by its F1 customers. The penalties are due to the sport's long-life engine rules, this […]
  • 28/08/2017 Verstappen questions commitment to Red Bull Aug.28 (GMM) Max Verstappen and his father Jos have questioned their commitment to Red Bull. At Spa, in front of thousands of Dutch fans, the 19-year-old's car broke down for the sixth […]
  • 01/06/2016 Alonso says Honda engine upgrade coming for Canada Jun.1 (GMM) McLaren and Honda have played down Fernando Alonso's claim that the decision to take an upgraded engine to Canada next weekend has already been taken. The Anglo-Japanese […]
  • 27/05/2018 Verstappen needs new ‘brain’ – Lauda May 27 (GMM) F1 experts say Max Verstappen needs a change of approach if he is to succeed. The Dutchman missed qualifying at Monaco after a practice crash -- yet another crucial mistake […]
  • 29/11/2016 New engine deal not awkward – Horner Nov.29 (GMM) Christian Horner says Red Bull is now looking confidently into the future with engine supplier Renault. Actually, the parties fell out spectacularly last year, with only a […]