‘No doubt’ Vandoorne keeping 2018 seat – manager

Aug.21 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne’s manager has dismissed speculation the Belgian is set to be ousted by McLaren.

Amid rumours the British team wants to sign Lando Norris to be Carlos Sainz’s teammate next year, it is whispered that Vandoorne could be ousted as soon as the forthcoming grands prix in 2018.

However, McLaren has confirmed that Vandoorne will be driving at his home race at Spa this weekend.

And his manager Alessandro Alunni Bravi told La Derniere Heure newspaper: “Stoffel will drive in Spa and until the end of the season. There’s no doubt about that.”

However, McLaren junior and GP2 frontrunner Norris appears to be a definite contender for the vacant 2019 seat.

This weekend at Spa, he will take over Fernando Alonso’s car in Friday morning practice.

“We will be taking a strategic view race-by-race at where else this might be beneficial for us over the coming grands prix,” said new sporting director Gil de Ferran.

Related News

  • 01/04/2019 No regrets after quitting improving McLaren – Alonso Apr.1 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has denied regretting his decision to quit McLaren and F1. While some expected the once-great British team to again struggle in 2019, Lando Norris and Carlos […]
  • 07/07/2018 Vandoorne sidesteps McLaren future rumours Jul.7 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne has dismissed as "part of formula one" a run of paddock rumours about him. Earlier, it seemed possible that the British team would oust the Belgian, who has […]
  • 05/09/2018 Vandoorne not speaking after McLaren axe Sep.5 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne is not yet commenting to the media about McLaren's decision to dump him for 2019. Once McLaren's highly promising development driver, the 26-year-old is […]
  • 28/08/2018 McLaren ‘going backwards’ – Vandoorne Aug.28 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne says McLaren is "going backwards". It looks more and more likely that the Belgian, dead last for most of his home race weekend at Spa, has fallen out with […]
  • 31/05/2018 Amid F1 quit rumours, Alonso ‘not happy’ – Sainz snr May 31 (GMM) The signs are growing ever stronger that Fernando Alonso's F1 career is coming to an end. This week, a McLaren delegation including Zak Brown, Gil de Ferran and Alonso's […]
  • 16/04/2019 McLaren to decide on Indycar for 2020 in summer Apr.16 (GMM) Zak Brown says McLaren is deciding whether to enter a full two-car team in the Indycar series in 2020 or 2021. "There is no doubt that the shareholders at McLaren would like […]
  • 26/08/2018 Vandoorne 2018 seat safe for now – de Ferran Aug.26 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne's seat at McLaren could be safe at least for the rest of the year. It is rumoured that, last week at Woking, endangered Force India driver Esteban Ocon did […]
  • 28/02/2019 Alonso admits 2020 return possible Feb.28 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has admitted he could return to formula one in 2020. During his visit to the Circuit de Catalunya for pre-season testing, McLaren announced that the former […]
  • 31/01/2019 Alonso set for McLaren test in Barcelona Fernando Alonso could try McLaren's 2019 car as early as the forthcoming winter tests in Barcelona. The Spaniard has retired from F1, but team boss Zak Brown has said the two-time […]
  • 04/02/2019 McLaren’s Brown eyes ‘big step forward’ in 2019 Feb.4 (GMM) Team boss Zak Brown is targeting points finishes for McLaren's 2019 car. The once-great British team has lost Fernando Alonso after four years of disappointing performance, […]