Perez says rescued Force India ‘best option’

Aug.22 (GMM) Force India has only slipped in 2018 because of its financial problems.

That is the claim of Sergio Perez, who is giving strong hints that notwithstanding the takeover by a Lawrence Stroll-led consortium, he intends to stay in 2019.

“If Force India is in good hands, then I would like to stay,” the Mexican told Auto Motor und Sport.

“It’s still the best team behind the big three. I used to wait forever for a decision from Ferrari, but this year I’m not so I hope the decision is sooner,” Perez added.

He said financial problems have hurt Force India’s progress, including “many updates that were delayed”.

But Perez still thinks Force India is the best option if Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull do not have available seats.

“There are two categories in formula one,” he said. “That’s the biggest problem the sport has to improve.

“There has to be more than three teams team fighting for victory. It’s not a fair sport anymore.”

Related News

  • 27/07/2018 Force India financial situation ‘critical’ – Perez Jul.27 (GMM) Sergio Perez says the financial situation at Force India has become "critical". In recent days, there have been reports that the Silverstone based team may soon enter […]
  • 29/08/2017 Force India not ruling out driver change Aug.29 (GMM) Force India is not ruling out making a change to its driver lineup for 2018. Earlier, although Sergio Perez is yet to commit to the Silverstone based team beyond this year, […]
  • 22/08/2017 Force India wants imminent Perez deal Aug.22 (GMM) A new Force India deal for Sergio Perez could now be imminent. The Mexican flirted with a move to Renault for 2017 but instead re-committed to Force India. He said he is […]
  • 07/03/2019 Racing Point becoming ‘normal team’ – Green Mar.7 (GMM) 2019 will be a transition year for the team formerly known as Force India. That is the view of team boss Otmar Szafnauer, when asked by Auto Motor und Sport about the future […]
  • 29/09/2016 Now Hulkenberg linked with Force India exit Sep.29 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg on Thursday reacted with surprise to rumours linking him with a surprise switch to Renault. And he is not the only Force India driver linked with Renault for […]
  • 08/02/2019 F1 ‘has gotten used to me’ – Perez Feb.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez is keen to make some noise with his performances in 2019. Now 29, the Mexican is a F1 veteran, with over 150 grands prix to his name. And yet, 2018 was a very […]
  • 28/01/2019 Force India adding blue to 2019 livery Force India could add the colour blue to its livery for 2019. Last week, the Silverstone based team - set to be officially renamed 'Racing Point' following the Lawrence Stroll acquisition […]
  • 06/10/2016 Force India denies losing Hulkenberg to Renault Oct.6 (GMM) Force India team figures have played down suggestions they may lose Nico Hulkenberg to a rival team. The Silverstone based outfit has finally ended rumours that Sergio Perez […]
  • 08/09/2016 Perez staying amid Force India buyout rumours Sep.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez is staying with Force India, amid rumours in Mexico that his backers may even buy the Silverstone based team. It is now considered an open secret that, despite […]
  • 08/09/2016 Perez staying amid Force India buyout rumours Sep.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez is staying with Force India, amid rumours in Mexico that his backers may even buy the Silverstone based team. It is now considered an open secret that, despite […]