Beating top teams ‘ridiculous’ goal – Budkowski

Sep.21 (GMM) Renault is not ready to charge for the world title.

That is the admission of Marcin Budkowski, a former leading FIA official who has controversially switched to the French carmaker’s works F1 effort.

He has recently been restructuring Renault in the background, but says those efforts will need to continue even after Daniel Ricciardo joins the team.

“We’re currently 1.5 seconds from the best,” Budkowski admitted to France’s Auto Hebdo.

“It would be ridiculous to say that we can erase this deficit when you consider organisations like Mercedes and Ferrari,” he added.

“But Renault is now a big organisation that continues to grow. At the end of the season, we will have grown by 50 per cent compared to the workforce present at the buyout of Lotus in December 2015.

“We will be close to 700 people at the end of year but that does not mean that the fruit of the collective work of these 700 people will be visible from January,” Budkowski said.

“When people arrive, a time of adaptation is necessary. When you have young people, you have to train them.

“And we recruited a lot of apprentices and newly-graduated talents. We are only now seeing the benefits of the recruitments of 2016 and 2017 now.”

Related News

  • 12/05/2019 Renault cannot beat top teams until 2021 – Abiteboul May 12 (GMM) Renault is not even planning to win races in 2020, according to the works team's boss Cyril Abiteboul. With Daniel Ricciardo now in the cockpit, the French team had hoped to […]
  • 02/01/2019 Hulkenberg wants to win with Renault Jan.2 (GMM) Renault has become the next team to announce a launch date for its 2019 car. The French works team has set the goal of getting closer to the top three Mercedes, Ferrari and […]
  • 30/11/2018 Renault sets podium target for 2019 Nov.30 (GMM) Outgoing Renault racing president Jerome Stoll has set the target of a podium for the French works team in 2019. Renault had targeted getting closer to the top three teams […]
  • 15/04/2019 ‘Multi-year job’ to catch top teams – Abiteboul Apr.15 (GMM) Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul says the French team is in the middle of a "multi-year" task to catch the big three teams. The comments come after China, where despite making […]
  • 10/05/2019 Renault knew 2019 strategy was risky – Stoll May 10 (GMM) Renault Sport president Jerome Stoll said the French marque "knew" it could find itself in a difficult situation in 2019. He said the works team made a conscious decision to […]
  • 14/01/2019 Renault ‘attack years’ begin in 2019 – Budkowski Jan.14 (GMM) Renault is about to begin "three years of attack". That is the view of Marcin Budkowski, the French works team's new executive director. Last year he caused a paddock stir […]
  • 07/12/2017 Customers may beat Renault in 2018 – Prost Dec.7 (GMM) Alain Prost has admitted Renault may struggle to beat its engine customers in 2018. Next year, the French carmaker will continue to run its own works team while supplying […]
  • 25/10/2015 Renault yet to take Lotus buyout decision – Ecclestone Oct.25 (GMM) As a U-turn on the Red Bull-Renault alliance now appears possible, it could be Lotus that is the team left without an engine to fire. At one point, the Enstone team looked […]
  • 05/09/2015 Lotus denies reports of pre-Singapore team collapse Sep.5 (GMM) Lotus has hit back at reports Monza could be the last race in the Enstone team's long history. Neither side can hide now that discussions about a buyout by Renault are taking […]
  • 17/09/2018 Ricciardo is worth top dollar – Prost Sep.17 (GMM) Paying the big bucks for Daniel Ricciardo is an expense that Renault can fully justify. That is the view of Alain Prost, an F1 legend who is now an ever-present special […]