Dutch GP preparations to take ‘years’

Nov.16 (GMM) Belgian grand prix boss Andre Maes doubts the Netherlands can quickly put together an F1 project.

After 35 years promoting the iconic race at Spa-Francorchamps, promoter Maes is stepping down. Formule 1, a Dutch publication, said his replacement is not known.

But the Spa race’s future is at least secure, after Maes inked a new three-year deal with Liberty Media earlier this year.

However, reports that promoters at former F1 circuit Zandvoort are in talks with Liberty could endanger nearby Spa’s medium-term prospects on the calendar.

Maes says competition is not a problem.

“It is only natural that we constantly have to fight for our place,” he said.

“We do not veto a race in the Netherlands, but we have asked if there are plans. If there is a Dutch grand prix, they will need at least three years to prepare everything.”

Related News

  • 20/08/2015 Promoter happy with present and future at Spa Aug.20 (GMM) Andre Maes, promoter of the Belgian grand prix, is looking forward not only to this weekend's race, but also more of the same in the future at fabled and popular […]
  • 08/02/2019 Zandvoort says Assen not Dutch GP alternative Feb.8 (GMM) There will be a Dutch GP in "Zandvoort, or not at all". That is the claim of Jan Lammers, a former F1 driver who is now the spokesperson for a potential 2020 return to the […]
  • 28/11/2018 Hockenheim not worried about Dutch GP Nov.28 (GMM) A German GP official says he is not worried about news that The Netherlands could host a F1 race once again. De Telegraaf newspaper reports that talks between Zandvoort and […]
  • 13/05/2016 Spa not hurt by Shell’s sponsor axe – promoter May 13 (GMM) The promoter of the Belgian grand prix has played down reports the Spa-Francorchamps race has lost its naming sponsor. Oil giant Shell announced this week that it is pulling […]
  • 09/11/2018 Verstappen not excited about Dutch GP yet Nov.9 (GMM) Max Verstappen is not getting excited about reports the Netherlands could return to the F1 calendar. It is reported that Zandvoort has been offered a potential place on the […]
  • 19/07/2017 Former PM hopes for Dutch GP return Jul.19 (GMM) Former Dutch prime minister Jan Peter Balkenende says he hopes Max Verstappen can help power The Netherlands' return to the F1 calendar. Recently, there have been rumours […]
  • 02/11/2018 Vietnam, Netherlands step towards F1 in 2020 Nov.2 (GMM) Vietnam has taken a big step towards being on the 2020 F1 calendar. The People's Committee of Hanoi, the capital of the Asian country, has issued an invitation to an event […]
  • 26/08/2015 Promoter says Ecclestone milk stunt ended protest threat Aug.26 (GMM) The promoter of the Belgian grand prix has admitted local dairy farmers posed a real threat to the smooth running of last weekend's race. At Spa-Francorchamps on Saturday, […]
  • 24/06/2018 British GP rescue talks scheduled for Monday Jun.24 (GMM) Talks to save the British grand prix are set to take place. The Sun reports that a meeting will happen on Monday, after organisers of the Silverstone race last year […]
  • 29/01/2018 F1’s Whiting gives thumbs up to Assen track Jan.29 (GMM) The Netherlands has taken another step towards F1 with a visit to the Assen circuit by race director Charlie Whiting. De Telegraaf newspaper reports that Whiting gave the […]