F1 has ‘other options’ to British GP – Carey

Nov.14 (GMM) Chase Carey has admitted a cloud still hangs over the future of the British grand prix.

Last year, Silverstone’s owner, the British Racing Drivers’ Club, exercised a break clause in its contract in the hope of negotiating a better deal for 2020.

And F1 chief executive Carey confirms that a new deal is yet to be agreed.

“We have said that with an ongoing negotiation, it’s best not to do that in public. I think that’s a healthier thing to do,” he said.

“We value the Silverstone race but we’ve got to get to a place that works for us. And those discussions are ongoing,” Carey added.

F1 owner Liberty Media has said it wants to safeguard the traditional venues like Silverstone whilst pushing into new frontiers including Vietnam and Miami.

But Carey suggests that Silverstone is in danger.

“There are always other options. We want to make sure we’re developing an array of options,” he said.

“We’re in a fortunate place where we have more places that want to have races than can have them, and that’s a good place to be in,” Carey added.

He said he will continue to try to make “the best decisions for fans and for racing and for us as a business”.

Silverstone was on the first modern F1 world championship calendar in 1950, and has hosted the British grand prix 51 times subsequently.

Related News

  • 10/07/2019 Announcement scheduled for new British GP deal Jul.10 (GMM) A new deal to keep the British GP at Silverstone will be announced within hours. Amid speculation that a new contract has been agreed, a press conference attended by F1 […]
  • 09/04/2019 Silverstone set for new F1 contract – sources Apr.9 (GMM) Reports that Silverstone is set to secure its place on the F1 calendar are gaining more steam. Last week, we reported that after race organisers terminated the contract for […]
  • 21/01/2017 Silverstone denies GP axe decision made Jan.21 (GMM) Silverstone has rejected reports it has already decided to drop the British grand prix after 2019. A report in the Sun newspaper this week quoted a source at the […]
  • 22/06/2019 Hockenheim still ‘fighting’ for German GP Jun.22 (GMM) Hockenheim is still fighting to save the 2020 German grand prix. It is believed Hockenheim and Barcelona are the existing circuits most likely to be axed in order to make […]
  • 12/11/2018 Miami GP plans still not dead – Carey Nov.12 (GMM) Chase Carey insists that plans for a grand prix in Miami have not been scrapped. In late September, the Miami city commission voted to indefinitely defer the […]
  • 16/05/2019 Mexico has ‘no contract’ for 2020 GP May 16 (GMM) Mexico looks set to lose its place on the F1 calendar. It is a highly popular race, but organisers are yet to agree a new deal with Liberty Media for 2020. Liberty needs to […]
  • 21/09/2018 Monza, Silverstone still in doubt after 2019 Sep.21 (GMM) A question mark continues to linger over the future of the historic Italian grand prix. The fabled race at Monza has been under a cloud for some time, but after the latest […]
  • 11/07/2017 Liberty hits out at Silverstone ‘posturing’ Jul.11 (GMM) F1 owner Liberty Media has hit out at what it regards as "posturing" by British grand prix promoter the BRDC. It is believed the Silverstone-owning British Racing Drivers' […]
  • 19/01/2017 Silverstone ‘will drop’ British GP – source Jan.19 (GMM) Bad news is still flowing out of Silverstone, the embattled current venue of the historic British grand prix. Recently, the track-owning British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) […]
  • 13/07/2017 F1 not ruling out London GP Jul.13 (GMM) The chances of a F1 street race in London have taken a clear step forward this week. The boost comes as Silverstone exercised a post-2019 break clause in its existing […]