Alonso set for McLaren test in Barcelona

Fernando Alonso could try McLaren’s 2019 car as early as the forthcoming winter tests in Barcelona.

The Spaniard has retired from F1, but team boss Zak Brown has said the two-time champion is welcome to attend grands prix in McLaren colours and even test the car on occasion.

Marca sports newspaper claims that, unlike some teams including Mercedes, McLaren will not run its new car for a ‘shakedown’ prior to the official tests.

But when the Barcelona tests do kick off, Alonso could appear.

“It seems that Alonso will test for half a day, but it is not known if it will happen in the first week or the second,” said correspondent Marco Canseco.

McLaren boss Brown admits the team will miss Alonso, but he said the team’s 2019 drivers Carlos Sainz and rookie Lando Norris are “outstanding”.

“Obviously Fernando’s an immense talent with a tremendous amount of experience,” he said. “Of course we’ll miss him in the garage but we have two outstanding talents.”

Related News

  • 01/03/2019 McLaren drivers back driving role for Alonso Mar.1 (GMM) McLaren's race drivers do not have a problem with Fernando Alonso testing their car in 2019. Alonso, who quit the team and sport at the end of last year but is now a test […]
  • 23/06/2019 McLaren leaving Alonso era in the past Jun.23 (GMM) McLaren appears to be moving on from the Fernando Alonso era. In recent days, team supremo Zak Brown said there is no room for the Spaniard in 2020 because McLaren is happy […]
  • 23/06/2019 Norris wants new contract and pay rise – report Jun.23 (GMM) Lando Norris says he wants a new deal to stay at McLaren in 2020. In recent days, team supremo Zak Brown played down the prospect of Fernando Alonso returning by saying the […]
  • 09/01/2018 Norris wants to learn from and beat Alonso in Daytona Jan.9 (GMM) New McLaren reserve Lando Norris says Daytona is the perfect opportunity to start learning from Fernando Alonso. This year, the new reigning F3 champion will travel the […]
  • 23/10/2018 Vandoorne not ‘aggressive’ enough for F1 – Brown Oct.23 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne's F1 career could be over because he was not "aggressive" enough with McLaren. That is the view of McLaren team boss Zak Brown, who is replacing the […]
  • 15/05/2018 McLaren plans mid-season Alonso talks May 15 (GMM) McLaren will open talks with Fernando Alonso about 2019 around the middle of the season. That is the news from team executive Zak Brown, acknowledging the rumours that the […]
  • 17/06/2019 McLaren plays down 2020 F1 return for Alonso Jun.17 (GMM) Zak Brown has all but ruled out a return to McLaren for Fernando Alonso. The McLaren supremo says the team is happy with its current race drivers, Lando Norris and Carlos […]
  • 02/01/2019 Norris to be given time to shine – Brown Jan.2 (GMM) Lando Norris will be given time to shine at McLaren, according to the British team's boss. The struggling British team has just ousted Stoffel Vandoorne, who made his debut […]
  • 10/09/2018 Perez denies McLaren was 2019 option Sep.10 (GMM) Sergio Perez has denied that McLaren was ever a serious option for him for 2019. Recently, McLaren's Zak Brown mentioned the Mexican as being on the list of potential […]
  • 24/11/2018 Alonso could test McLaren in 2019 – Brown Nov.24 (GMM) Zak Brown says Fernando Alonso is free to drive McLaren's 2019 car next year. As he races in F1 for the final time for now, Alonso's car in Abu Dhabi features the words […]