Sainz ‘excited’ to test 2019 McLaren car

Carlos Sainz is “very excited” to get up and running in McLaren’s 2019 car.

The Spanish driver has moved from the Renault works team to the once-great McLaren team, which struggled throughout Fernando Alonso’s final years in F1 since 2015.

“Carlos is very excited, very eager to start the tests here in Barcelona,” Sainz’s father Carlos Sainz, a world rally legend, told El Mundo Deportivo.

“From there it will be known more or less if McLaren has done its homework well, whether Renault has done its homework well and the engine goes a little better, and if the chassis is better than it was last year with Fernando,” Sainz snr added.

“I think that by the time the Barcelona tests are over, they will know fairly well where they are.”

Sainz, 56, confirmed that his 24-year-old son has moved close to McLaren’s Woking HQ.

He said it is impossible for McLaren to set targets before the competitiveness of the new car is known.

“Everything depends on the car,” said Sainz snr. “You cannot talk about results without knowing that.

“Maybe he’ll do 11th or 13th places like Fernando did last year, or maybe it will be points and it’s a super result,” he added.

“But I see a Carlos who is very motivated, very excited and eager to start.”

Sainz snr was also asked if Carlos is ready to cope with being Spain’s only F1 driver, following Alonso’s retirement.

“He never felt badly treated, because when there is someone of Fernando’s calibre, it’s normal. It’s normal to be in the shadow of an institution of motor sport.

“But now that will be different and he is eager to take that on,” Sainz snr added.

Finally, he tipped Alonso – the new Daytona 24 hour winner – to do well this year when he tackles the Indy 500 and Le Mans again.

“When someone is as gifted as Fernando, it is clear that wherever he goes he will do well, be it Le Mans, Daytona or anywhere else,” said Sainz snr.

“I think he demonstrates that every time he gets in any car.”

Related News

  • 01/03/2019 McLaren drivers back driving role for Alonso Mar.1 (GMM) McLaren's race drivers do not have a problem with Fernando Alonso testing their car in 2019. Alonso, who quit the team and sport at the end of last year but is now a test […]
  • 30/09/2016 Alonso recommends Sainz for McLaren future Sep.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says Carlos Sainz would be a good McLaren-Honda driver for the future. Stoffel Vandoorne is replacing F1 veteran Jenson Button next year, and Alonso is […]
  • 22/08/2018 Sainz success to take ‘years’ – Button Aug.22 (GMM) It could take McLaren "years" to get back to the front of the grid. That is the warning of former team driver Jenson Button, as he was asked about Carlos Sainz's move from […]
  • 27/02/2018 Teams propose to extend first winter test Feb.27 (GMM) F1 teams are proposing to extend this week's Barcelona test. The first winter test was scheduled to take place between Monday and Thursday, but snow is forecast in Barcelona […]
  • 11/10/2018 McLaren ‘hit the bottom’ in 2018 – Sainz Oct.11 (GMM) Carlos Sainz is confident McLaren will put itself back on track in 2019. Flavio Briatore, who is a manager of retiring McLaren driver Fernando Alonso, says the once great […]
  • 20/02/2019 Alonso ‘may’ attend Barcelona test – McLaren Feb.20 (GMM) McLaren says Fernando Alonso will "maybe" be trackside at the Barcelona test next week. Earlier, there was speculation the now retired-from-F1 Spaniard could actually test […]
  • 15/01/2019 McLaren to race ‘very different car’ in 2019 Jan.15 (GMM) McLaren will head into the 2019 season with a "very different car". That is the claim of team boss Zak Brown, who indicated that the once-great British team's recent […]
  • 29/04/2017 Alonso admits 2018 team switch possible Apr.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is not willing to wait much longer for Honda to improve. McLaren headed into the Sochi weekend hopeful of better reliability, but a failure for […]
  • 17/01/2015 No Telefonica deal for McLaren Jan.17 (GMM) Telefonica has ruled out becoming McLaren's title sponsor. The famous British team raced throughout 2014 without a title backer, following the withdrawal of Vodafone. But […]
  • 02/03/2015 Alonso entourage suspects car failure – report Mar.2 (GMM) A second week has begun with the saga surrounding Fernando Alonso's testing crash still high in the headlines. The most important issue, of course, is the McLaren-Honda […]