F1 ‘has gotten used to me’ – Perez

Feb.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez is keen to make some noise with his performances in 2019.

Now 29, the Mexican is a F1 veteran, with over 150 grands prix to his name.

And yet, 2018 was a very low profile year for Perez, even though he finished the world championship eighth overall.

“It’s as if people have gotten used to me,” he told Auto Bild.

“When I was new, everyone talked about me and I was the next big thing. In 2017 I finished the season best of the rest and I’ve beat all my teammates.”

He should at least be strong again in 2019, with Force India having been taken over by billionaire Lawrence Stroll and re-named Racing Point.

Perez says he is better than ever.

“With age you get more confidence, you know how things work,” he said.

Perez also thinks that, even though his teammate will be team owner Stroll’s son Lance, he will have a leadership position.

“I think experience helps in how you can direct a team, how you can build it around you, how much progress you can make with your car, with the setup,” he said.

Related News

  • 08/01/2019 Perez a good comparison for Stroll – Dumontier Jan.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez will be a good benchmark for Lance Stroll at the team formerly known as Force India in 2019. That is the view of Francois Dumontier, promoter of the Canadian […]
  • 27/07/2018 Force India financial situation ‘critical’ – Perez Jul.27 (GMM) Sergio Perez says the financial situation at Force India has become "critical". In recent days, there have been reports that the Silverstone based team may soon enter […]
  • 19/10/2018 Stroll investment will boost Force India – Perez Oct.19 (GMM) Sergio Perez thinks a cash injection will push Force India forwards in 2019. Although it was an open secret in the F1 paddock, the Mexican was in Austin finally announced as […]
  • 31/08/2018 Perez plays down McLaren speculation Aug.31 (GMM) Sergio Perez has played down speculation linking him with McLaren for 2019. Earlier, it seemed clear that the Mexican, having participated in the legal moves that triggered […]
  • 17/03/2019 Racing Point is ‘my project’ – Perez Mar.17 (GMM) Sergio Perez says he sees Racing Point as his "project" in F1. Earlier, the Mexican was targeting a return to a top team such as Ferrari. But last year, when he forced […]
  • 05/03/2019 Perez no longer planning Ferrari future Mar.5 (GMM) Sergio Perez is looking ahead to a "major improvement" for his car in Melbourne. Racing Point - formerly Force India - had a particularly low-profile winter test season, with […]
  • 10/08/2018 Perez assessing ‘options’ outside Force India Aug.10 (GMM) Sergio Perez says he has "a number of options" to keep driving in formula one next year. The Mexican was recently among those who triggered Force India's administration and […]
  • 04/09/2016 Perez not confirming Force India stay rumours Sep.4 (GMM) Sergio Perez says his plans for the 2017 season are not quite ready to be revealed. On Saturday, British television announced at Monza that the Mexican will definitely be […]
  • 25/10/2018 Perez tips Mexico to sign new F1 contract Oct.25 (GMM) Sergio Perez is confident Mexico's place on the F1 calendar is secure. The race in Mexico City is now one of the most popular and for 2018 it is again sold out. But the […]
  • 07/11/2018 Stroll can be ‘great’ for Force India – boss Nov.7 (GMM) Otmar Szafnauer thinks Lance Stroll will be a "great driver" for Force India. The news has not been announced yet, but it is an open secret that the son of new team owner […]