Red Bull denies deliberate Mercedes launch clash

Feb.8 (GMM) Red Bull has denied it timed its car launch to deliberately clash with reigning world champions Mercedes.

There is no love lost between the top teams, with Dr Helmut Marko last year describing fellow Austrian Toto Wolff as “persona non grata”.

Mercedes had already scheduled a ‘rollout’ test for its 2019 car for next Wednesday (13 February) at Silverstone, before Red Bull suddenly followed suit.

Marko, the top Red Bull official, denied it was a deliberate ploy.

“That was just because our car was finished two days later than planned,” he told Auto Bild. “We will be driving on different parts of the track, so it should not be a problem.”

Related News

  • 08/04/2019 Wolff calls Verstappen ‘repeatedly’ – Marko Apr.8 (GMM) Max Verstappen has emerged as a shock contender to switch to Mercedes in 2020. Dr Helmut Marko, the driver manager at Red Bull, has admitted to Auto Bild that Mercedes boss […]
  • 08/03/2019 Mercedes must not do ‘too much’ to catch Ferrari – Wolff Mar.8 (GMM) Toto Wolff says Mercedes can fight back in 2019. Based on winter testing, it appears that the reigning world champions are trailing both Ferrari and Red Bull-Honda. "We […]
  • 04/02/2019 Lauda will miss winter tests and Australia – Marko Feb.4 (GMM) Niki Lauda will miss both the forthcoming Barcelona tests and the first race of the season in Australia. That is the claim of the F1 legend's Austrian countryman and paddock […]
  • 23/08/2018 F1 ‘not the same’ without Lauda – Marko Aug.23 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says grands prix are not the same in the absence of Niki Lauda. F1 legend Lauda is currently recovering from a lung transplant in a Vienna hospital. "We all […]
  • 26/05/2017 Red Bull could be on front row – Marko May 26 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko is not ruling out a front row qualifying for Red Bull in Monaco. That is despite the fact technical boss Adrian Newey earlier played down the former […]
  • 06/05/2016 2017 rules will not stop overtaking – Boullier May 6 (GMM) Eric Boullier has hit back at suggestions the 2017 regulations could actually hurt formula one. Part of Mercedes' opposition to the wider cars with bigger wings for next year […]
  • 21/04/2016 Wolff ‘afraid’ of 2017 rule changes – Marko Apr.21 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has slammed a "paranoid" Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff for trying to spoil F1's charge towards faster cars for 2017. It is Wolff who has been leading the […]
  • 28/11/2018 Marko says 2019 rule change ‘pointless’ Nov.28 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko said the car rule changes for 2019 are "pointless". For next year, car modifications including different front wings are designed to make overtaking […]
  • 05/05/2016 MotoGP hot on F1’s heels – Marko May 5 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has acknowledged that F1 is coming under threat by its two-wheeled equivalent when it comes to being the best form of top motor racing. As he this week ruled […]
  • 14/03/2019 New ‘point for fastest lap’ rule criticised Mar.14 (GMM) Figures in the F1 paddock have criticised a new rule that will grant an extra point to the driver who posts the fastest lap of each race. From 2019, if a driver finishes in […]