Ecclestone plays down F1 return rumours

Mar.13 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has played down suggestions he might make a return to formula one.

The former F1 supremo may be 88, but his friend Christian Horner says: “You never know with him.”

Ecclestone told Corriere della Sera: “It would be a mistake to go back, even if I had the chance.

“Why should I try to change Liberty?” he asked.

But Horner, the Red Bull boss, thinks Ecclestone would be better than Chase Carey and the other Liberty Media executives at negotiating the Concorde Agreement and ending the dispute with disgruntled race promoters.

Ecclestone also notes that F1’s TV ratings “have fallen”.

But he thinks that could change in 2019.

“Yes, if the competition improves,” Ecclestone said. “In the past few seasons it was known before it started that Hamilton would win. How do you sell a product like that?”

Ecclestone said he is hoping Ferrari beats Mercedes this year.

“They should have won it last year, they had the right car, but Sergio Marchionne’s death left a huge void,” he said.

“Even Sebastian (Vettel) felt lost. He was not happy with how the team was managed and made mistakes that he would never make in other circumstances.”

But he says Lewis Hamilton remains the 2019 favourite, saying the Mercedes driver’s high profile is both “the best and the worst” for F1.

“The best because he knows how to promote the sport like no other, but the worst because he takes all the attention away.

“He’s not doing anything wrong, it’s the other drivers that need to wake up and show their personalities,” Ecclestone added.

Finally, when asked about Fernando Alonso’s exit from F1, Bernie answered: “It’s a great loss. Maybe he will return to Ferrari in 2020.”

Related News

  • 07/02/2019 Liberty ‘underestimated’ F1 takeover – Horner Feb.7 (GMM) Liberty Media "underestimated" the task of running F1. That is the view of Red Bull's Christian Horner, who was asked about the latest issues surrounding the current F1 owner […]
  • 06/02/2019 Disgruntled promoters making ‘noise’ – Carey Feb.6 (GMM) Chase Carey, F1's chief executive, says the major group of disgruntled race promoters is making "noise". Earlier, 16 of the sport's 21 race organisers hit out at Liberty […]
  • 04/01/2018 Ecclestone no longer attending races Jan.4 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says he may no longer attend grands prix. The former F1 supremo began his first year as nominal 'chairman emeritus' in 2017 whilst still attending some […]
  • 14/09/2017 Pirelli chief tips Ferrari to win in Singapore Sep.14 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel could reclaim his lead of the world championship this weekend in Singapore. That is the view of Marco Tronchetti Provera, who is the CEO of F1's official […]
  • 27/05/2017 F1 income must not be ‘socialism’ – Haas May 27 (GMM) F1 must be "very careful" as it moves to shake up the income distribution model in the near future. That is the warning of Gene Haas, the American billionaire owner of the […]
  • 19/05/2017 Carey expects ‘turbulent’ F1 talks May 19 (GMM) Chase Carey is expecting "turbulent" times ahead as negotiations with teams look set to kick off. As Liberty Media takes over and the Bernie Ecclestone era is put in the […]
  • 03/06/2019 Mercedes staying in F1 until 2025 – report Jun.3 (GMM) Mercedes' future in F1 looks secure beyond 2020. Currently, the teams are locked in tense negotiations with Liberty Media for the new Concorde Agreement. On paper, June is […]
  • 16/03/2019 Liberty to get tough in F1 negotiations Mar.16 (GMM) Negotiations over the next Concorde Agreement look to be heating up. Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko said the biggest "negative" of the Liberty Media era at present is "the […]
  • 09/04/2018 Horner defends Hamilton ‘d******d’ slur Apr.9 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel and Christian Horner on Sunday defended Lewis Hamilton after the Bahrain grand prix. Following a clash with Max Verstappen, world champion Hamilton called […]
  • 18/03/2019 Mercedes still opposed to budget cap – Wolff Mar.18 (GMM) Toto Wolff has renewed Mercedes' opposition to plans for team budget caps in 2021. In Melbourne, FIA president Jean Todt said preparations for "cost control" are "quite well […]