Ferrari pushing ahead with Vettel penalty appeal

Jun.12 (GMM) Ferrari is pushing ahead with its appeal against the controversial stewards decision that cost Sebastian Vettel victory in Canada.

There has been uncertainty about whether an appeal against the verdict would be heard by the FIA unless new evidence emerges.

But ahead of the Thursday deadline for the appeal being formally lodged, a spokesperson for the Maranello team told German news agency DPA: “We are going forward with the appeal.”

Ferrari insider Leo Turrini said on his Quotidiano blog: “I doubt the appeal can happen for official reasons.

“However, the reaction has been so great that common sense could prevail.”

Liberty Media, the F1 owner, is staying out of the controversy for now.

“I don’t want to give an opinion on the decision, because in my position it would be wrong to do so,” said sporting boss Ross Brawn.

He said he has “a lot of respect” for the stewards, but also understands “how difficult it must be” for fans of the sport to see Vettel’s win taken away.

“Therefore, it might be useful to work with the FIA on solutions that would allow the stewards to explain their decisions to the fans and to elaborate on how they reached them.”

Brawn also denied that the FIA stewards who came to the decision, including former driver Emanuele Pirro, have any “hidden agenda”.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said demonising the stewards after controversial decisions means “no one will want to do the job”.

Pirro, the steward in Canada, admitted he has been stung by the criticism that has come from fellow former drivers including Nigel Mansell and Mario Andretti.

“The world and racing have changed,” he told Italy’s Formula Passion.

“As a racing fan, I’m sorry the race ended like that. It’s not easy to make these decisions, but sports integrity has to come before everything else.

“In short, reason must prevail over heart and passion,” Pirro added.

Another issue in play is whether Vettel should be further penalised for his post-race tantrums, including boycotting the top three ‘parc ferme’ and switching the positions of the number 1 and 2 markers.

Ralf Schumacher called the latter interference of the post-race protocol “really embarrassing”.

“Tantrums and insults that denigrate authority and the other competitors must be properly sanctioned, like Max Verstappen when he pushed Esteban Ocon,” said Marca correspondent Marco Canseco.

“UEFA would have banned him from between six to eight races without hesitation.”

Related News

  • 29/10/2016 Brawn admits F1 top job ‘appealing’ Oct.29 (GMM) Ross Brawn has admitted he is interested in returning to F1. But the former Ferrari and Mercedes chief fended off speculation he could come back from retirement with a […]
  • 09/03/2015 Signing Raikkonen was ‘right decision’ – Domenicali Mar.9 (GMM) Former Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali insists Kimi Raikkonen was the right choice for the Maranello team. Although ousted last year, it was Domenicali who signed Raikkonen […]
  • 11/05/2017 Liberty signs Ferrari spokesman – report May 11 (GMM) A former Ferrari spokesman is returning to formula one. In the Italian team's famous Todt-Schumacher era, Italian Luca Colajanni was the communications chief. Ferrari […]
  • 09/05/2017 Vettel has Mercedes ‘pre-agreement’ – insider May 9 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel may already have a "pre-agreement" to switch to Mercedes for 2018. That is the claim of well-known F1 media insider Leo Turrini, who is notoriously close to […]
  • 25/03/2019 Ferrari engineers ‘understand’ Melbourne problem Mar.25 (GMM) Bosses at Ferrari "understand" what went wrong in Melbourne. That is the claim of Ferrari insider Leo Turrini, after the Maranello team surprised the F1 world by falling […]
  • 20/02/2015 Vettel plays down Schumacher comparison Feb.20 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel has denied he is a "carbon-copy" of fellow German and F1 legend Michael Schumacher. Earlier this week, new Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene hailed the […]
  • 01/03/2015 Arrivabene willing to ‘provoke’ Ecclestone Mar.1 (GMM) Maurizio Arrivabene is quickly climbing the ladder as arguably one of the most popular team bosses in formula one. A former Philip Morris executive, and bearing a striking […]
  • 15/10/2018 ‘Very easy’ to make Vettel-like mistakes – Alesi Oct.15 (GMM) Jean Alesi has backed his old team Ferrari, amid criticism of the Italian outfit and its top driver Sebastian Vettel. Ferrari and Vettel are taking heat as their 2018 title […]
  • 28/09/2017 2017 championship ‘not decided yet’ – Brawn Sep.28 (GMM) Ross Brawn has backed Sebastian Vettel's view that the Ferrari driver is still in the title hunt. Vettel's hopes took a big hit in Singapore, with the German widely blamed […]
  • 19/05/2017 Brawn says Vettel ‘key to Ferrari success’ May 19 (GMM) Ross Brawn has hailed Sebastian Vettel's personal contribution to the excitement of the 2017 season. Brawn, famous for his key role in the ultra-successful Todt-Schumacher […]