McLaren announced 2020 drivers to stop ‘speculation’

Jul.10 (GMM) McLaren has announced its 2020 driver lineup with 12 races left to run this season in order to avoid “speculation”.

That is the admission of the British team’s supremo Zak Brown.

Just days after a story emerged about Fernando Alonso effectively splitting with the Woking outfit, McLaren has announced that Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris are staying put for 2020.

“I cannot think of a better combination of drivers for McLaren,” Brown is quoted by AS newspaper.

“On our road to recovery, they put the interest of the team first, which is something that is not always easy.”

Approaching the mid-point of this world championship, the 2020 ‘silly season’ is hotting up with drivers including Alonso, Valtteri Bottas, Esteban Ocon, Nico Hulkenberg, Sergio Perez, Romain Grosjean and others all in play.

Brown said: “One of the reasons to announce it now is that the driver market is already moving.

“We wanted to be among the first to confirm our situation and prevent speculation.”

Related News

  • 10/09/2018 Perez denies McLaren was 2019 option Sep.10 (GMM) Sergio Perez has denied that McLaren was ever a serious option for him for 2019. Recently, McLaren's Zak Brown mentioned the Mexican as being on the list of potential […]
  • 02/09/2018 Four candidates for second McLaren seat Sep.2 (GMM) Zak Brown has named four candidates who are in the running to race the second McLaren in 2019. The Woking team has already signed up Carlos Sainz, but now Stoffel Vandoorne […]
  • 01/03/2019 McLaren drivers back driving role for Alonso Mar.1 (GMM) McLaren's race drivers do not have a problem with Fernando Alonso testing their car in 2019. Alonso, who quit the team and sport at the end of last year but is now a test […]
  • 23/06/2019 McLaren leaving Alonso era in the past Jun.23 (GMM) McLaren appears to be moving on from the Fernando Alonso era. In recent days, team supremo Zak Brown said there is no room for the Spaniard in 2020 because McLaren is happy […]
  • 31/01/2019 Alonso set for McLaren test in Barcelona Fernando Alonso could try McLaren's 2019 car as early as the forthcoming winter tests in Barcelona. The Spaniard has retired from F1, but team boss Zak Brown has said the two-time […]
  • 23/06/2019 Norris wants new contract and pay rise – report Jun.23 (GMM) Lando Norris says he wants a new deal to stay at McLaren in 2020. In recent days, team supremo Zak Brown played down the prospect of Fernando Alonso returning by saying the […]
  • 30/07/2018 Vandoorne axe within 2018 ‘unlikely’ – Brown Jul.30 (GMM) The driver 'silly season' is racing on. In Hungary, rumours continued to gain strength that Carlos Sainz will be ousted by Renault, and replaced for 2019 by Esteban […]
  • 17/08/2018 New Perez deal due in ‘days’ – insider Aug.17 (GMM) F1 may be in its summer 'shutdown', but the rumour mill is still in overdrive. It has been helped along with Daniel Ricciardo, Carlos Sainz and Fernando Alonso's […]
  • 23/10/2018 Vandoorne not ‘aggressive’ enough for F1 – Brown Oct.23 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne's F1 career could be over because he was not "aggressive" enough with McLaren. That is the view of McLaren team boss Zak Brown, who is replacing the […]
  • 15/05/2018 McLaren plans mid-season Alonso talks May 15 (GMM) McLaren will open talks with Fernando Alonso about 2019 around the middle of the season. That is the news from team executive Zak Brown, acknowledging the rumours that the […]