Wolff prepared to let Ocon join rival team

Jul.28 (GMM) Toto Wolff says he is ready to let Mercedes reserve Esteban Ocon leave the team at the end of 2019.

Frenchman Ocon, a top member of Mercedes’ development programme, lost his Force India seat at the end of last year but is now being strongly linked with a 2020 return.

The 22-year-old is being linked with Mercedes, Renault, Racing Point and Haas.

“He deserves to be in F1, that’s clear,” Mercedes team boss Wolff told Canal Plus.

“He does a great job for us in the simulator and then at Force India in the last years. He deserves to be in Formula 1.”

Wolff is not ruling out the works Mercedes seat for Ocon next year that is currently occupied by Valtteri Bottas.

“We will take our decision in August,” he said.

“If we do not have room for him, we’ll have to let him go. We cannot block a young driver if we cannot offer him a cockpit.”

Related News

  • 23/11/2018 Bottas ‘not worried’ about 2020 seat Nov.23 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he is not worried he could lose his seat after 2019. The Finn is all signed up for next year, but Mercedes could be holding the seat open for Force […]
  • 22/10/2018 Ocon race seat ‘up to Williams’ – Wolff Oct.22 (GMM) It is up to Williams whether it selects Esteban Ocon to complete the British team's 2019 driver lineup. That is the claim of Toto Wolff, the Mercedes team boss who says he […]
  • 12/07/2019 Lehto tips Bottas to keep Mercedes seat Jul.12 (GMM) Former F1 driver JJ Lehto thinks Valtteri Bottas could keep his race seat at Mercedes. Earlier, former Lotus boss Matthew Carter said he has heard from "sources" that […]
  • 26/06/2019 Wolff optimistic of finding seat for Ocon Jun.26 (GMM) Toto Wolff says he is "very optimistic" Esteban Ocon will return to the F1 grid next year. Ocon lost his race seat at Force India at the end of last year when Lawrence […]
  • 11/07/2019 2020 race seat for Ocon ‘100pc’ sure – source Jul.11 (GMM) Esteban Ocon's chances of returning to the Formula 1 grid next year stand at "100 per cent". That is the claim of Matthew Carter, the former chief executive of the now […]
  • 08/08/2019 Wolff would help Bottas find alternative F1 seat Aug.8 (GMM) Toto Wolff says he would help Valtteri Bottas find a new seat in 2020 if Mercedes lets the Finn go. The Mercedes boss says he will use the August break to decide between […]
  • 31/07/2019 Williams says Russell ‘going nowhere’ for 2020 Jul.31 (GMM) Williams is not going to let George Russell flee to the Mercedes works team without a fight. At Hockenheim, Toto Wolff suggested that Valtteri Bottas' 2020 seat is not […]
  • 11/05/2019 Wolff denies eyeing Chase Carey’s job May 11 (GMM) Toto Wolff has rubbished speculation that he is eyeing Chase Carey's job at the top of Formula 1. Reports this week said the Mercedes boss was lining up to replace Carey as […]
  • 30/08/2018 Ocon confirms failed McLaren seat fitting Aug.30 (GMM) Esteban Ocon has admitted he had a seat fitting at McLaren's Woking factory. Last week, it was rumoured the Frenchman could be ousted by Lance Stroll at Force India, but […]
  • 02/08/2019 Russell admits 2020 Mercedes seat ‘unlikely’ Aug.2 (GMM) George Russell has admitted that a 2020 seat at Mercedes is "unlikely". That is despite the fact that, alongside Esteban Ocon, he is one of the German marque's top […]