McLaren wants to keep Vandoorne, Alonso

Aug.8 (GMM) McLaren has confirmed claims it intends to line up with an unchanged driver lineup for 2018.

After setting blistering times in the post-Hungary test, teenager Lando Norris denied he might be a contender to replace Stoffel Vandoorne next year.

“I think McLaren is trying to keep the current lineup”, he said, referring also to Fernando Alonso, who is yet to agree a new contract beyond 2017.

Belgian Vandoorne entered F1 this year with a brilliant junior career behind him, but the 25-year-old notably struggled alongside Alonso in the first half of the season.

But he has taken steps forward in the most recent races.

“The biggest problem was that we had so many technical problems that I hardly drove. It took me some time to understand what I had to do with this car to drive it really fast,” Vandoorne said.

“Now I feel more comfortable so I’m closer to Fernando in pace, and I need to continue like that.”

Indeed, while earlier there was some criticism from within McLaren management, the Honda-powered team’s chiefs are now apparently happier with Vandoorne.

“Yes, we are happy with Stoffel,” confirmed executive Zak Brown.

“He is in a difficult situation next to Fernando and with the reliability problems we’ve had, but we think Stoffel is a future world champion. We want to go with the same drivers next year.”

Related News

  • 07/08/2017 McLaren wants same drivers in 2018 – Norris Aug.7 (GMM) Lando Norris has calmed speculation he could be about to burst into formula one. The 17-year-old Briton, who is a McLaren junior driver, staked a claim on future F1 […]
  • 14/07/2017 Vandoorne ‘not worried’ about McLaren exit Jul.14 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne says he is not worried he might lose his McLaren seat at the end of the season. Although strong throughout his junior career, the Belgian rookie has […]
  • 14/05/2017 Vandoorne to tweak driving style – Boullier May 14 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne is working on tweaking his driving style to better adapt to formula one. That is the claim of McLaren boss Eric Boullier, when asked by the Belgian […]
  • 07/10/2017 Boullier still pushing for Alonso signature Oct.7 (GMM) Eric Boullier is pushing hard to get Fernando Alonso's signature on a McLaren contract for 2018. It appears that the two sides are headed for a new deal following the Honda […]
  • 27/02/2017 Vandoorne under less ‘time pressure’ than Alonso Feb.27 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne agrees he is under less pressure than Fernando Alonso to reach his career ambitions in the next years with McLaren. Although already 24, the Belgian is a […]
  • 01/03/2017 McLaren ‘sticking with plan’ – Vandoorne Mar.1 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne says he has not been told if McLaren will modify its test programme in light of the problems struck so far. As the Barcelona test began and Fernando Alonso […]
  • 20/01/2017 Vandoorne to ‘fight and work with’ Alonso Jan.20 (GMM) F1 rookie Stoffel Vandoorne agrees with his McLaren teammate Fernando Alonso that their head-to-head fight will not be too intense in 2017. Some have likened the new pairing […]
  • 27/05/2017 Button hints at Vandoorne future May 27 (GMM) With a single comment, Jenson Button has fired speculation of a full-time return to F1, and cast doubt on the future of Stoffel Vandoorne. The 'retired' 2009 world champion […]
  • 25/08/2017 Alonso says September is ‘decision month’ Aug.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has admitted the time is nearing for a decision about his future beyond 2017. The Spaniard said previously he would contemplate his next move during the […]
  • 07/10/2017 Norris could replace Button as McLaren reserve Oct.7 (GMM) Eric Boullier has admitted Jenson Button could leave his role as official McLaren reserve driver next year. Earlier in 2017, the 2009 world champion stood in for Fernando […]