F1 should increase engine allocation – Horner

Sep.6 (GMM) Christian Horner says he will propose that F1 scraps plans to further ramp up the controversial long-life engine rules next year.

Already on new F1 chief Ross Brawn’s table is an idea to reform the often farcical imposition of grid penalties for engine component changes.

But Horner, the Red Bull boss, told Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper that the real problem is that drivers are not allocated enough engines per season under the current and ultra-complex ‘power unit’ regulations.

For instance, with some drivers already well into their allocation of four engines after 13 races in 2017, the regulations are set to reduce that limit to three engines in 2018.

“This problem should be the number one issue at the next strategy (group) meeting,” said Horner.

The Austrian newspaper said Horner proposes that F1 ups the per-driver engine allocation to five per season.

Horner added: “It would be a pity if the world championship was decided by something like the number of engines.”

Related News

  • 02/06/2017 Engine rules ‘driving McLaren to ruin’ – Marko Jun.2 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says formula one desperately needs new engine rules for 2021. The Austrian is a leading F1 official at Red Bull, the energy drink owned company that has two […]
  • 27/11/2017 2018 engine rules ‘not barking mad’ – Wolff Nov.27 (GMM) Toto Wolff has hit back at criticisms of the changing engine rules for 2018. In Abu Dhabi, amid the flurry of grid penalties seen late this year, Red Bull's Christian Horner […]
  • 04/11/2015 Mateschitz slams rivals’ lack of ‘sportsmanship’ Nov.4 (GMM) Dietrich Mateschitz has accused Red Bull's powerful rivals of lacking the "courage and sportsmanship" to supply the team with engines in 2016. As he added another "three […]
  • 24/08/2015 ‘No reason’ for 2016 driver change – Horner Aug.24 (GMM) Red Bull looks set to prepare for the 2016 season with an unchanged pair of drivers. The former world championship-winning team's current drivers are Daniel Ricciardo […]
  • 25/01/2017 Teams welcome ‘experts’ replacing Ecclestone Jan.25 (GMM) Top teams were looking confidently into F1's future this week, following news of Bernie Ecclestone's departure as CEO. Publicly, almost every influential figure in the sport […]
  • 26/05/2018 F1 future still taking shape in Monaco May 26 (GMM) F1's future for 2021 and beyond continues to take shape. Talks so far have been controversial, with Ferrari and perhaps even Mercedes threatening to quit over the budget […]
  • 12/03/2018 Ferrari holding F1 to ‘ransom’ wrong – Horner Mar.12 (GMM) Christian Horner has chided Ferrari for holding F1 "to ransom". The Red Bull boss is taking a hard position in reaction not only to Ferrari's quit threat, but president […]
  • 18/06/2018 Liberty must put new rules on table – Marko Jun.18 (GMM) Red Bull has joined fellow top teams Ferrari and Mercedes in expressing concerns about Liberty Media's vision of the future beyond 2020. Team official Dr Helmut Marko said […]
  • 21/02/2015 Horner says Manor ‘deserves’ F1 return Feb.21 (GMM) Christian Horner on Saturday insisted he would welcome the former Marussia team back to F1. Earlier, despite vocally championing the rights of struggling teams, Force India […]
  • 14/09/2017 2018 engine rule change ‘a mistake’ – Lauda Sep.14 (GMM) Mercedes has now backed Red Bull in pushing for a change to the engine rules for 2018. Earlier, with swathes of penalties raining confusion over the order of the grids at […]