Trouble brewing over planned 2016 calendar

Jul.30 (GMM) Discontent is brewing over F1’s proposed calendar for 2016.

After the most recent meeting of the World Motor Sport Council, the FIA declared that a 21-date provisional schedule for next year “was approved”.

Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn, however, expressed concerns that stretching beyond an agreed limit of 20 races will require “additional staff and resources”.

And Red Bull’s Christian Horner added: “Tough for the whole factory not to have a summer break. I think it’s important that we have one.”

When asked about the loss of the summer break and pushing beyond 20 races, an unnamed boss from the F1 midfield told Auto Motor und Sport: “Both are violations of the regulations.

“So it is only possible if all the teams agree. And not all of them do.”

The report added, however, that no team has lodged a formal complaint so far.

That could be because it is only a provisional calendar, and quite often a race or two is dropped before a season’s ultimate schedule is finalised.

Germany, for instance, is scheduled to return in 2016 after a break this year.

But Ecclestone said: “I don’t know what’s going to happen with Germany. We have a contract, so if they honour the contract, they should be there.”

Another endangered race is Monza.

“Probably Monza,” Ecclestone said when asked by Spain’s Movistar F1 if one of the proposed 21 races could be dropped.

Related News

  • 15/07/2015 Renault did not deliver power unit ‘promises’ – Horner Jul.15 (GMM) Christian Horner has admitted the rocky relationship between Red Bull and Renault is due to a loss of "patience". "A lot has been said and written about the relationship […]
  • 26/07/2015 Teams concerned about 21-race calendar Jul.26 (GMM) Team bosses are concerned about F1's plans for an unprecedented 21 grands prix next year. Earlier, it was believed the sport had set an upper acceptable limit of 20 races […]
  • 07/07/2018 F1 considering new points system for 2020 Jul.7 (GMM) F1 could be contemplating a new points system for the future. Force India's Vijay Mallya, on a rare paddock visit at Silverstone, reportedly revealed that Liberty Media is […]
  • 30/11/2017 Red Bull’s Horner supports Liberty Nov.30 (GMM) Christian Horner says he supports F1's new owners Liberty Media. Top teams Ferrari and Mercedes are publicly unhappy with the new era, decrying a drop in revenue and […]
  • 28/02/2017 Rivals rejected ‘shark fin’ ban – Horner Feb.28 (GMM) Christian Horner says fellow team bosses rejected his appeal for the 'shark wing' engine cover fins seen on the 2017 cars to be banned. The aggressive, 'sexier' look of the […]
  • 30/06/2015 Attention returns to Strategy Group on Wednesday Jun.30 (GMM) F1's attention will return to the Strategy Group on Wednesday. Six weeks ago, as the sport's main protagonists insisted formula one must turn a corner, the group met and […]
  • 14/09/2017 2018 engine rule change ‘a mistake’ – Lauda Sep.14 (GMM) Mercedes has now backed Red Bull in pushing for a change to the engine rules for 2018. Earlier, with swathes of penalties raining confusion over the order of the grids at […]
  • 09/08/2017 Legal issues forced Halo introduction – Horner Aug.9 (GMM) Mercedes backed the FIA into a corner over the issue of cockpit protection in F1. That is the view of Red Bull chief Christian Horner, who is no advocate of the governing […]
  • 01/03/2017 Wolff, Horner say Melbourne protest possible Mar.1 (GMM) Mercedes and Red Bull say the risk rival teams could lodge a protest in Melbourne still exists. It comes despite the FIA issuing a new clarification about allegedly illegal […]
  • 17/06/2016 Red Bull puts ‘aeroscreen’ on back burner Jun.17 (GMM) Progress with Red Bull's 'aeroscreen' concept has stalled. The FIA is pushing ahead with the rival 'halo' cockpit protection for next year, but remained open-minded about […]