Aug.31 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg is staying with Force India in 2016, the German newspaper Bild reports.
The German, who earlier this year won the fabled Le Mans 24 hour on his first attempt, was a candidate to move to Ferrari next year until Kimi Raikkonen was re-signed.
Hulkenberg had also been strongly linked not only with the new American entrant Haas, but also with Lotus, particularly if Renault completes its takeover of the Enstone team.
It is being reported in England and France that Renault’s takeover of the Enstone team Lotus in collaboration with Alain Prost is indeed now “done”, with the F1 insider Leo Turrini saying an announcement is due this week at Monza.
But Bild says Force India will announce on Monday that Hulkenberg is staying put at Silverstone.
And it appears that the 28-year-old will also reprise his Le Mans effort next year, having attended the Nurburgring round of the series at the weekend in Porsche team gear.
Meanwhile, the Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat claims that Haas is now “very close” to agreeing a deal for 2016 with Esteban Gutierrez, the Ferrari reserve driver.
The report said Gutierrez would bring at least EUR 15 million in Mexican sponsorship backing.
A candidate for the other seat may then be American Marco Andretti, the son of former McLaren racer Michael, even though Haas has said it is looking for more experienced drivers.
“I don’t even know if I’m eligible for a (super) licence based on the (new) points system,” the Indycar driver admitted to the Indianapolis Star newspaper.
Elsewhere in F1, Mark Webber has urged Jenson Button to consider following him to Le Mans once his long grand prix career ends, perhaps at the end of this season.
“JB certainly can look at it,” the Australian, who now races for Porsche, told NBC.
“He’s certainly imminent for a decision. Obviously he will make one soon. He will do what he is happy with.”
It is believed Button’s exit from McLaren would re-open the door for Kevin Magnussen, with fellow junior Stoffel Vandoorne then stepping into the reserve driver role.
05/06/2015 Le Mans switch not tempting Hulkenberg yet Jun.5 (GMM) As far as his racing calendar goes, Nico Hulkenberg is just about to hit a new high gear. The German will contest Sunday's Canadian grand prix for Force India, and then […]
01/03/2019 Prost backs Ferrari over driver hierarchy Mar.1 (GMM) F1 legend Alain Prost has backed Ferrari's decision to impose a clear driver pecking order ahead of the 2019 season. Mattia Binotto kicked off his tenure as the Maranello […]
20/09/2015 Renault hints Grosjean leaving Enstone team Sep.20 (GMM) Romain Grosjean's switch to Haas for 2016 was all but confirmed on Sunday. It is well known that Lotus, Grosjean's current team, is in detailed talks with Renault about a […]
05/11/2015 Haas almost signed Magnussen for 2016 Nov.5 (GMM) Ousted McLaren reserve Kevin Magnussen's tattered F1 career was almost rescued by Haas, it has emerged. After a single year of racing, and then serving as reserve for most of […]
02/09/2015 Hulkenberg set to keep Porsche seat for 2016 Sep.2 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg looks set to defend his title as Le Mans winner at next year's edition of the fabled 24 hour sports car race. Splitting his time between his Force India and […]
08/12/2015 Perez tips Haas to challenge Force India Dec.8 (GMM) Sergio Perez has backed Force India to rise to the "huge task" of continuing to raise its game in formula one. Teammate Nico Hulkenberg may have been the high-profile Le Mans […]
01/09/2015 Force India signs Hulkenberg for 2016, 2017 Sep.1 (GMM) As reported on Monday, Nico Hulkenberg is staying with Force India. The Silverstone based team announced on Tuesday that the German has signed up for 2016 and 2017. 2015 Le […]
19/08/2015 Raikkonen still key to driver market – Grosjean Aug.19 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen remains the key to the 2016 'silly season'. That is the view of Romain Grosjean, the current Lotus driver who openly admits he is barracking for Renault to […]
26/09/2015 Hulkenberg says Le Mans deal not done yet Sep.26 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg says his return to defend his Le Mans title next year is not set in stone. Rumoured to be quitting F1, Jenson Button has said that although he may be […]