2017 another tough year for Renault – Hulkenberg

Dec.28 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg thinks 2017 could be a second consecutive tough campaign for the Renault works team.

The German is switching to the carmaker’s Enstone based team from Force India, which finished fourth in the 2016 constructors’ championship.

Renault, on the other hand, finished just ninth this year, off the back of predecessor Lotus’ near-collapse of 2015.

“I think next year is still a build-up year,” Hulkenberg is quoted by the Daily Express newspaper.

“I hope that next year it is a little bit better already, but I don’t expect them to be inside the top six straight away. Even the top ten is probably going to be challenging,” he added.

Even if 2017 is bad, though, 29-year-old Hulkenberg sounds more optimistic about Renault’s future.

“These things take time, to build the infrastructure back up, get good people on board and develop the car,” he said.

Related News

  • 14/02/2019 Future ‘depends’ on Ricciardo duel – Hulkenberg Feb.14 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg says he does not fear Daniel Ricciardo. The pair's Renault boss, Cyril Abiteboul, says 31-year-old Hulkenberg is "enormously underestimated". The German […]
  • 06/03/2019 Renault must speed up car development – Ricciardo Mar.6 (GMM) Renault needs to speed up the way it develops its F1 car throughout the season. That is the view of Daniel Ricciardo, who has switched from top team Red Bull to Renault for […]
  • 18/12/2015 Carmen Jorda ‘excited’ about future with Renault Dec.18 (GMM) Carmen Jorda sounds confident she will remain with Enstone as the current Lotus team transitions to Renault ownership over the winter. Often controversially, the 27-year-old […]
  • 26/03/2018 Gap to top teams bigger in 2018 – Hulkenberg Mar.26 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg says the challengers to F1's top three teams have "a lot of work to do" to catch up. Like other hopeful midfield teams including McLaren, Renault entered […]
  • 17/03/2019 Renault not a disappointment in Melbourne – Hulkenberg Mar.17 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has denied that the start of Renault's 2019 campaign in Melbourne is "a disappointment". "I can't see why it's a disappointment," the German driver told […]
  • 06/10/2016 Hulkenberg not ‘100pc’ on Force India exit rumours Oct.6 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg on Friday could not say he will definitely line up for the Force India team in 2017. Speculation has linked the German as well as his teammate with potential […]
  • 04/08/2016 Hulkenberg hails McLaren-Honda progress Aug.4 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has hailed McLaren-Honda's rate of improvement in 2016. The German drives for Force India, the small Silverstone based outfit that has impressed by taking on […]
  • 11/12/2017 Hulkenberg welcomes Sainz challenge Dec.11 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg says he is happy rather than worried now that Carlos Sainz is his teammate at Renault. This year, German Hulkenberg was teamed up at the French team with […]
  • 04/02/2016 Jorda has ‘no problem’ with Ocon deal Feb.4 (GMM) A surprise face at the Renault launch on Wednesday belonged to Carmen Jorda. Last year, the Spaniard and former GP3 driver was the female development driver at Lotus, which […]
  • 25/09/2017 McLaren-Renault targets race win in 2018 Sep.25 (GMM) Eric Boullier thinks McLaren can make a swift return to the top step of the podium. The British team is splitting with Honda after three years deep in the midfield, but boss […]