Suspension dispute still raging before test

Feb.14 (GMM) A question mark continues to hang above the legality of the fastest two cars ahead of the 2017 season.

Although the new Mercedes and Red Bull cars are yet to be launched, it is already known that they will feature the same 2016-style suspension concept that some are comparing to outlawed active suspension.

Ferrari has already challenged the concept’s legality, and at the latest meeting of F1 technical bosses last week, the matter was discussed at length again.

But for now, the FIA is declaring that the system is legal.

Some teams, reportedly led by Ferrari, have argued that Mercedes and Red Bull – or the FIA – should at least explain how the system works, but Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt reports that “the campaign has been unsuccessful”.

So Schmidt said the risk of a formal protest in Melbourne remains.

A report in Italy’s authoritative La Gazzetta dello Sport agreed: “The meeting last week did not result in an agreement about what is allowed and what is not.

“Many proposals were on the table, but the position of the teams is very far apart.”

However, Gazzetta said one possible outcome before the Barcelona test is that Charlie Whiting will issue a new technical directive regarding suspension legality.

“For the teams it would give enough time to review their projects and adapt, if not in time for Barcelona then for the start of the season in Australia,” it added.

Related News

  • 09/02/2017 Melbourne protest possible over F1 row – report Feb.9 (GMM) An argument over clever and controversial suspension systems looks set to keep raging early in 2017. Earlier, Ferrari called into question the legality of setups being run by […]
  • 11/01/2016 F1 waters down plans for faster cars – report Jan.11 (GMM) F1's plan to radically speed up the cars for 2017 has been watered down. That is the claim on Monday of the authoritative German magazine Auto Motor und Sport. It said that […]
  • 25/03/2017 Mercedes removes trick suspension voluntarily Mar.25 (GMM) Mercedes has "voluntarily" removed its controversial suspension system for the Australian grand prix. It follows Saturday's news that, following complaints about the active […]
  • 11/06/2016 FIA has eye on flexing Ferrari, Red Bull Jun.11 (GMM) Some flexing bodywork on the 2016 car has caught the eye of some rival teams. That is the claim of Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, revealing that at high speed the rear wing […]
  • 21/01/2015 Honda still not happy with ‘unfreeze’ ruling Jan.21 (GMM) F1 returnee Honda this year may be allowed to do just a quarter of the engine development of its 2015 rivals Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault. After initially being left out of […]
  • 10/02/2015 Ecclestone eyes ‘second division’ with old Red Bull Feb.10 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone is working on a contingency plan in case the F1 grid continues to dwindle. If Marussia's bid to return this year should fail, the pitlane looks set to […]
  • 20/02/2017 Wehrlein in doubt for second test, Melbourne Feb.20 (GMM) Speculation is already mounting that Pascal Wehrlein could miss more than just the start of winter testing next week. Following his violent rollover crash at the Race of […]
  • 04/01/2017 FIA bans Mercedes concept after Ferrari letter – report Jan.4 (GMM) Ferrari has reportedly made a bold bid to catch up in 2017 by designing a new suspension system, or have the Mercedes-pioneered concept banned by the FIA. Germany's Auto Bild […]
  • 28/03/2015 Ferrari adds EUR 100m to F1 budget – report Mar.28 (GMM) Ferrari is closing the gap to dominant Mercedes in more ways than one, according to reports. The fabled Maranello marque has made a big step forward over the winter, […]
  • 19/01/2017 F1 teams back away from buying shares – report Jan.19 (GMM) F1 teams are backing away from new owner Liberty's offer of shares in the sport they compete in. We have reported that Liberty is offering up to 20pc of the sport's […]