Hockenheim not ‘bad guys’ after German GP axe

May 11 (GMM) The sorry saga of the now-axed 2015 German grand prix has nothing to do with Hockenheim.

That is the claim of circuit chief Georg Seiler, after some F1 fans and even insiders reacted with pleasant surprise when it emerged at the weekend that Germany will definitely be back on the calendar next year.

But according to the Hockenheim boss, 2016 was never in doubt.

“We still have a contract for next year,” he told the Swiss newspaper Blick in Barcelona, “and we will honour it.”

Hockenheim only became embroiled in the 2015 saga when the originally-scheduled German GP host, the Nurburgring, ran into its now well-known ownership troubles.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone held talks with Hockenheim about standing in at short notice.

“For many people,” Seiler explained, “we were now the bad guys because of what happened to the German grand prix for this year.

“But if the Nurburgring suddenly cancels and we are the only alternative, it is simply too late for us to make a reasonable organisation in March,” he added.

Related News

  • 10/05/2015 2016 German GP return ‘1,000pc safe’ – Hockenheim May 10 (GMM) Hockenheim's boss says he is "1,000 per cent" sure the German grand prix will return in 2016. After failing to rescue this year's event, Bernie Ecclestone said recently […]
  • 27/07/2016 Officials admit German GP future in doubt Jul.27 (GMM) After a gap year, the German grand prix might be back this weekend but the future of the country's place on the calendar remains in doubt. It was the Nurburgring that caused […]
  • 31/10/2016 German GP not secure for 2017 – Ecclestone Oct.31 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says there is still no guarantee there will be a German grand prix in 2017. After Germany's return to the calendar this year at Hockenheim, the circuit has […]
  • 29/06/2016 Hockenheim admits German GP future in doubt Jun.29 (GMM) Hockenheim promoter Georg Seiler this week admitted Bernie Ecclestone is right that Germany might once again be absent from the F1 calendar in 2017. The good news for fans […]
  • 20/03/2015 German GP ‘dead’ as circuits pull out Mar.20 (GMM) Germany's other F1 circuit has joined Hockenheim in pulling out of the running to host the scheduled July 19 race. Earlier this week, Hockenheim chief Georg Seiler told Bild […]
  • 13/07/2015 2016 German GP return ‘never in doubt’ – source Jul.13 (GMM) F1's governing body has released the first official race calendar for 2016, and it confirms the return of the German grand prix. This year's schedule is currently in an […]
  • 17/01/2015 Nurburgring not giving up on 2015 race Jan.17 (GMM) The Nurburgring is not giving up on hanging onto the German grand prix. Bernie Ecclestone has announced that, amid the Nurburgring's ownership uncertainties, its return to […]
  • 25/01/2017 Liberty era future brighter for German GP Jan.25 (GMM) F1's new Liberty Media era is good news for "traditional" race hosts like Germany, new sport managing director Ross Brawn says. Germany will not host a race in 2017, after […]
  • 30/09/2016 Hockenheim says no 2017 contract yet Sep.30 (GMM) Track boss Georg Seiler says Hockenheim does not yet have a contract to host the German grand prix in 2017. Earlier this week, the FIA published a race calendar for next […]
  • 21/03/2015 FIA confirms German GP demise Mar.21 (GMM) F1's governing body has removed Germany from the 2015 calendar. The move follows both the Nurburgring and Hockenheim having declared that time ran out as they negotiated new […]